Objectivism Online Forum

The Media you consume

Rate this topic

As a new forum member and a fairly new student of Objectivism, I am interested in what kinds of books, newspapers and periodicals the people here consume on a daily or regular basis. I believe I really need to broaden my horizons and would appreciate tapping into some new sources of information.

Books: what non/fiction (preferably, but not necessarily) have you read, good or bad, in the last 12 months?

News: where do you get your daily print (or online print) news? What, if any, television (or online video) news do you watch?

Periodicals: what magazines, print or online, do you read regularly?

Thanks,

MM

As a new forum member and a fairly new student of Objectivism, I am interested in what kinds of books, newspapers and periodicals the people here consume on a daily or regular basis. I believe I really need to broaden my horizons and would appreciate tapping into some new sources of information.

Books: what non/fiction (preferably, but not necessarily) have you read, good or bad, in the last 12 months?

News: where do you get your daily print (or online print) news? What, if any, television (or online video) news do you watch?

Periodicals: what magazines, print or online, do you read regularly?

Thanks,

MM

There are already a bazillion posts about favorite books / book recommendations.

Books -- Capitalism: A Treastise on Economics by George Reisman

News-- Lately I've just been using Google News, it brings you a lot of stories from across the Internet.

Periodicals -- I like the Wall Street Journal, but ever since Newscorp took over our school isn't allowed to get them anymore so I can't say if it's any good anymore or not. I can't say I read Magazines steadily because I only pick them up if there is something interesting on the cover, and every Magazine has something interesting every now and then.

Edit: Is it the media you consume, or does the media consume you?

Edited by Mammon

• 1 month later...

My media diet:

Daily internet media: Drudge Report, New York Times, Slate Magazine, Politico.com

Print Media: The New Yorker, Atlantic Magazine, Harpers, The Economist, Washington Post weekly edition

Recent Books: "The World is Flat" Friedman; "Ghost Wars: the secret history of the CIA" Coll; "Generation Kill" Wright; "State of Denial" Woodward; "Wifework" Maushart (my wife made me read this one <_<)

Books

Dieting for Dummies by Jane Kirby, Getting Things Done by David Allen (soon), Antichrist by Friedrich Nietzsche, ITOE by Ayn Rand (hopefully soon).

News

Only news feeds: StarcraftTwo.com, bbcrussian.com, igromania.ru. Hmm, I just realized I gotta rework the list :lol:

Periodicals

Igromania (f*ck), Mir Fantastiki, Men's Health (VERY rarely). Can anyone recommend some international magazines?

TV is off.

Blogs

Mostly LJs of people I got to know, used to monitor Cox & Forkum before it closed. Can anyone recommend me stuff?

Podcasts

Leonard Peikoff's. I'm totally lost here, dunno how to find good ones.

News

I use that Google deskbar gadget thing, to display all the Google News feeds on my desktop.

Periodicals

The Economist and The Guardian from time to time.

TV

Don't really watch any TV news, but the BBC is usually the best.

Blogs

I suppose engadget and kotaku count more as blogs than anything else. So, these two.

Podcasts

The Peikoff-inator's Podcasts of Philosophy.

Dr Ellen Kenner

Edited by Tenure

The Female Brain Louann Md Brizendine (pushing heavily the nature side of things)

Myths Of Gender: Biological Theories About Women and Men Anne Fausto-Sterling (balances the views expressed in the first listing; exposes the bias/flaws in some of the gender studies)

The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism is Harming Our Young Men Christina Hoff Sommers

• 5 weeks later...
Blogs

Mostly LJs of people I got to know, used to monitor Cox & Forkum before it closed. Can anyone recommend me stuff?

Obloggers, dude.

http://crucibleandcolumn.blogspot.com/2008...yndication.html

http://groups.google.com/group/obloggers?hl=en