Objectivism Online Forum

Men With Traditional Views On Gender Roles Earn More

Rate this topic

Mammon

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Men_With_Tr...More_24857.html

The study found that men with traditional views on the gender role in the society made an average of about $8,500 more annually compared to their more “modern-thinking” men. The same situation occurred in the case of couples who both tended to view the ideal place for a woman as the home. They had a significant earning advantage over those who disagreed.

You know what this means? It means K-Mac should get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich! :lol:

Well its not too hard to come up with possible explanations in terms of confounding variables - socially liberal beliefs are probably somewhat correlated with decreased interest in the relentless pursuit of material goods, and being more likely to study a liberal arts subject at college, both of which would result in lower income.

But despite that I find the results hard to accept - I was under the impression that sexist views tend to be more common among the working classes and poor people, whereas the middle-classes are more likely to hold more liberal views. I'm curious how they went about selecting their sample - if it was just college kids they used then the results are very dubious.

edit: I forgot it was America not Europe. I guess the results sort of make sense, in that sexist beliefs are correlated with religion and you have the whole WASP thing going on over there.

Edited by eriatarka

The study found that men with traditional views on the gender role in the society made an average of about $8,500 more annually compared to their more “modern-thinking” men.

Greater incentive to seek higher wages since they don't expect their woman to significantly contribute financially?

The same situation occurred in the case of couples who both tended to view the ideal place for a woman as the home. They had a significant earning advantage over those who disagreed.

As a couple? The discrepencies in wages between men and women, even though they still exist, are small enough that two paychecks most often than not amount to significantly more than one.

Perhaps, it is the other way arround. Only these couples which can comfortably afford for a woman to stay home could entratain that idea. Women who want to stay home maybe seeking a higher earner for a mate whereas those who are planning on working themselves may not make earnings as big of a factor in their mate selection.

“When workers’ attitudes become more traditional, women’s earnings relative to men suffer greatly. When attitudes become more egalitarian, the pay gap nearly disappears,” Judge added.

Not surprising.

Edited by ~Sophia~

There was a time when you used to laugh.

Greater incentive to seek higher wages since they don't expect their woman to significantly contribute financially?

This is my guess too. The guy who has a wife who makes the same or more then him might feel like not working as hard. Or maybe he cuts time out to pick up on the house-keeping and child rearing?