Objectivism Online Forum

why do we choose different careers?

Rate this topic

draken12

Hi, I´m very interested in the main reason as to why we choose different careers. I know that intelligence has a lot to do with it; one doesn´t want a job that is too complicated nor too easy. Can the actual value (product or service) one produces be of crucial importance, or is it less important than the process of production or at the same level?

Does anyone know?

Hi, I´m very interested in the main reason as to why we choose different careers. I know that intelligence has a lot to do with it; one doesn´t want a job that is too complicated nor too easy. Can the actual value (product or service) one produces be of crucial importance, or is it less important than the process of production or at the same level?

Does anyone know?

The actual product, the process, one's prior experience in other areas, or similar areas, are all important, and more. A choice in career takes into account all of one's person. At the base level: do you like it? Beyond that, all factors must be weighed against each individual's life. For example: more obviously, one cannot be a track star without the function of his legs. Less obviously, one might not take a position as a corporation's international relations liaison if one wishes to spend more time with his kids at home.

And btw, I would argue intelligence does not have a lot to do with it. Ambition, work ethic, and desire all prove to be more determining than sheer intelligence.

Edited by JASKN

Hey Draken12,

I agree with JASKN's response in that an ambition and work ethic are of most importance.

If I may take it a bit further, I would say that a passion and motivation for what you value

in your career will certainly help or may even be necessary to pursue a certain career path.

I think it is very interesting how passion and drive feed each other and grow stronger with

your already made value judgments. This: Passion and Drive

I also think self-discipline is another quality to take into consideration when choosing a career

based off of your interest: Discipline