Objectivism Online Forum

The dictionary definition of "Objectivism"?

Rate this topic

Sparrow

Some dictionaries include an entry for "Objectivism" with this definition:

Philosophy. Any one of the several doctrines holding that all reality is objective and external to the mind, and that knowledge is reliably based on observed objects and events.”

Does anybody know if Rand's philosophy is implicitly included in this definition, and if not, how Rand's philosophy is distinguished from this definition?

Thank you!

I don't think Objectivism fits within that definition, or any other dictionary definition for that matter. While the second half, concerning the basis of knowledge in "observed objects and events" accurately describes Objectivism, the first half is subject to some interpretation, namely the phrase "all reality". Objectivism certainly considers free will to be real but not external to the mind.

After perusing some other dictionary definitions, one other variation came up: "a philosophical belief that moral truths or external objects exist independently of the individual mind or perception." (MSN Encarta, AskOxford.com) This most certainly does not describe Objectivism, since "moral truths" pertain only to choices, which is a function of the mind. Of course, this does not mean that moral truths cannot be validated by reference to an objective standard.

It's dangerous to rely too greatly on dictionary definitions when discussing anything related to Ayn Rand.

Some dictionaries include an entry for "Objectivism" with this definition:

[...]

I have several possible responses, but first I need clarification. Does your dictionary normally list terms with an initial capital letter or a lowercase letter (assuming the word isn't a proper name)?

My dictionary lists "objectivism" but not "Objectivism." What about yours?

I have several possible responses, but first I need clarification. Does your dictionary normally list terms with an initial capital letter or a lowercase letter (assuming the word isn't a proper name)?

My dictionary lists "objectivism" but not "Objectivism." What about yours?

My dictionary lists "objectivism" with a small o, which makes sense since it refers to several theories, and only one of them can be a proper name. My question is whether Rand's Objectivism can be considered one of these theories.

While the second half, concerning the basis of knowledge in "observed objects and events" accurately describes Objectivism, the first half is subject to some interpretation, namely the phrase "all reality".  Objectivism certainly considers free will to be real but not external to the mind.

Thank you for this observation!

My dictionary lists "objectivism" with a small o, which makes sense since it refers to several theories, and only one of them can be a proper name. My question is whether Rand's Objectivism can be considered one of these theories.

No. Ayn Rand's philosophy is a whole philosophy. It is not a theory in one branch of philosophy, such as metaphysics or epistemology. The philosophy of Objectivism includes five branches: Metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, politics, and esthetics. See "Philosophy" and related articles in The Ayn Rand Lexicon.

Thank you, Mr. Laughlin. I am quite familiar with the philosophy of Objectivism, but I thought it could be considered one of the objectivist theories because the definition referred to objectivity, which is the essence of Objectivist metaphysics and epistemology. I realize that Objectivism also includes rational selfishness in ethics, Individual Rights in politics, Laissez-Faire Capitalism in economics, and Romanticism in esthetics. This is what makes Objectivism unique and original.

Thank you, Mr. Laughlin. I am quite familiar with the philosophy of Objectivism, but I thought it could be considered one of the objectivist theories because the definition referred to objectivity, which is the essence of Objectivist metaphysics and epistemology.

But does your dictionary definition of "objectivity" coincide with its specific meaning in the philosophy of Objectivism? Since you are quite familiar with the philosophy of Objectivism, why don't you list the dictionary definition here, alongside with your understanding of the meaning of objective in Objectivism, and compare the two.

But does your dictionary definition of "objectivity" coincide with its specific meaning in the philosophy of Objectivism? Since you are quite familiar with the philosophy of Objectivism, why don't you list the dictionary definition here, alongside with your understanding of the meaning of objective in Objectivism, and compare the two.

Ok. the dictionary definition of "objectivity" is "the state, condition, or quality of being objective" so here is the dictionary definition of "objective:" 1. Of or having to do with a material object as distinguished from a mental concept, idea, or belief. Compare subjective. 2. Having actual existence or reality. 3.a. Uninfluenced by emotion, surmise or personal prejudice. b. Based on obsevable phenomena; presented factually.

Looking under "objectivity" in The Ayn Rand Lexicon, I realize my mistake. This is the beginning of the first entry (from "Who is the Final Authority on Ethics?"): "Objectivity is both a metaphysical and an epistemological concept. It pertains to the relationship of consciousness to existence."

It is this relationship which is missing from the dictionary definition of "objective," where 1 explicitly severes the material object from a mental concept. This relationshp is also missing from the dictionary definition of "objectivism" I liseted before: “Philosophy. Any one of the several doctrines holding that all reality is objective and external to the mind, and that knowledge is reliably based on observed objects and events.” The question remains, how is knowledge derived from reality?

Later in the entry from the Lexicon, the relationship of consciounsess to existence is discussed further: "This means that although reality is immutable and, in any given context, only one answer is true, the truth is not automatically available to a human consciousness and can be obtained only by a certain mental process..." This mental process is of course discussed in Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology.

Shame on me for becoming so rusty. Thanks to Stephen for prompting me to look it up.

Shame on me for becoming so rusty. Thanks to Stephen for prompting me to look it up.

In the end, you looked at the facts and judged accordingly. Certainly no shame in that.

In the context of her philosophy, Miss Rand's view of "objectivity" is unique in the history of ideas, so it is not surprising to find a discrepancy in meaning between the common useage in a dictionary, and that of Objectivism.