Objectivism Online Forum

New Rich-text Editor

Rate this topic

Should I make it the default editor?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make it the default editor?

• Definately
    • If you can works the bugs out
    • No, it sucks

I have installed a new rich-text editor for the board. It's currently only available via the "IPB Skin Set 1.2" skin, which I have temporarily made the default board skin.  If you would like to use it, you can switch to that skin.  If not, you can switch to another. ("Oni" was the previous default.) I am curious whether you'd like to see it used for the default skin.

(I can already see that the editor has problems with line breaks and spacing in Mozilla.)

I don't like the new Rich Text-Editor. I love simplicity and the previous editor gave me that, without the extra frills which won't add to the content of the message.

Many here may prefer the new rich editor, so perhaps you could leave it as an option to the user to make either of the text editors the default for their particular accounts. Is that possible for you?

Dinesh.

I have installed a new rich-text editor for the board. It's currently only available via the "IPB Skin Set 1.2" skin, which I have temporarily made the default board skin.  If you would like to use it, you can switch to that skin.  If not, you can switch to another. ("Oni" was the previous default.) I am curious whether you'd like to see it used for the default skin.(I can already see that the editor has problems with line breaks and spacing in Mozilla.)

I notice that a whole bunch of posts today are littered with these "EDITOR_OPENTAG ..." lines, interspersed among the writings. Can you fix that? It makes for difficult reading.

p.s. I am assuming you see these "EDITOR_OPENTAG ..." lines as I do.

I am editing this with the old editor because it totally screwed up my post.The new editor also always crashed Internet Explorer when I tried to paste text from the Objectivism CDROM and lost all my text when I hit the "Preview Post" button.

Switch

Do you mean anyone not using that special editor will see all these posts cluttered up with tags and such? Maybe I am missing something, but that sounds silly. Even the email messages I get, the ones which notify me of posts to the OO site, are all cluttered up witht these tag lines.

How can you make readability of the site dependent on a specific editor which is not generally used by most of the people on the internet? Am I missing something?

No, unfortunately I can't do that.  But as I explained, you can switch to a skin that does not use it.

No you can't.

I switched to the old default skin and now the old posts -- like this from the "handicap" thread -- look like this:

As the father of a daughter with [...].

p.s. I am assuming you see these "EDITOR_OPENTAG ..." lines as I do.

I just switched the theme again and I do now. Yeah, definately ugly without the editor.

I just switched the theme again and I do now.  Yeah, definately ugly without the editor.

Then, please, can you get rid of that editor? If the other skins cannot properly read what it writes, what is the point?

Evidently many people seem to default to it because the majority of the new posts I read have those ugly tags in them. I just stopped reading several posts because they were almost undecipherable. (Well, undecipherable is a bit of an exaggeration, but I just decided that it was not worth the effort of plodding through all that stuff.)

align=centerI have face="Arial Narrow"mixed feelings ]about this size=1new size=5editor. I color=#a040ffhated it size=6SUPwhen /SUPI  face="Comic Sans MS"found style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c3be71"out empirically that switching style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dcd1df" color=#ffff40between editors wiped out the stuff in the edit box. On the other hand, it's much easier for me to see what's written (8 pt. type is hard on us old coots). If I felt inspired to write with fancy visual effects, this would be a definite upgrade. I'm still src="http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/2.gif"about it. src="http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/richedit/wordarts/Thank_You/3.gif"for the extra effort, anyhow.

align=center 

align=centerGee, the line spacing really sucks.

align=center 

align=centerI have  face="Arial Narrow"mixed feelings ]about this  size=1new  size=5editor. I  color=#a040ffhated it  size=6SUPwhen /SUPI  face="Comic Sans MS"found  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c3be71"out empirically that switching  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dcd1df" color=#ffff40between editors wiped out the stuff in the edit box. On the other hand, it's much easier for me to see what's written (8 pt. type is hard on us old coots). If I felt inspired to write with fancy visual effects, this would be a definite upgrade. I'm still src="http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/2.gif"about it.  src="http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/richedit/wordarts/Thank_You/3.gif"for the extra effort, anyhow.

align=center 

align=centerGee, the line spacing really sucks.

align=center 

Now that's the kind of post we need more of! :D

Sorry guys, I had no idea it generated that kind of gibberish.

I'm sure all is forgiven. :D

But it does illustrate an interesting problem. How do you transition to systems with greater ability, without destroying what you have in the interim?

Being in a University environment I used Unix, and then Linux when it first appeared. I used to curse at those damn Windows users whose posts on newsgroups contained strange characters, did not conform with the usual indenting rules, etc. When I recently discovered Windows for myself I was just amazed at the richness of text possibilities as well as the integration of disparate features, like images, into one. Now I appreciate what those Windows guys were writing all those years I sufferred through.

If this new rich-text editor, or other similar innovations, truly offers new, expanded, and really worthwhile features, it certainly would be a nice capability to have. But, how to introduce new capabilities to the internet without destroying what others have in the interim? Someone must be thinking about these things, right? I mean, thinking about it on a global scale? I've never bothered to research the literature in this area.

Sure, maintaining, upgrading, and leveraging legacy systems, standards, and skills is one of the big issues in IT. It’s why VB.Net, a 21st century programming language uses keywords originating in 1960’s hardware. My preference is to start from scratch whenever possible, but then I don’t have billions of dollars invested in legacy technology…

Sure, maintaining, upgrading, and leveraging legacy systems, standards, and skills is one of the big issues in IT. It’s why VB.Net, a 21st century programming language uses keywords originating in 1960’s hardware. My preference is to start from scratch whenever possible, but then I don’t have billions of dollars invested in legacy technology… 

But from a user perspective how successful do you think they have been in the last decade in regard to interfaces on the internet? I do not mean hardware or system software, but how users interface in regard to communicating, both in language and graphics. I for one am extremely impressed with the rapid growth of an endless array of integrated features, but such innovations leave many in the lurch.

Actually, I think I just answered my own question: You have to keep up with the technology if you want to be "with it." It actually sounds real good to me when I put it that way. Buy a new machine and use new software every year, just as soon as you start getting use to what you have. :) Everyone will not like to do that, but I think it is wonderful that such an option is open to us.