Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

tommyedison
    By tommyedison,
    I have recently read the book Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal and I have found Ayn Rand's ideas to be irrefutable. But I cannot understand why was she rejected and still is because her ideas are perfectly practical. Also I read on a site, that one of the prime problems with a gold standard in today's world would be that there is not enough gold to back up all the money in the world. And gold is also not unlimited and the end of the supply of gold (when the mines are exhausted) would mean that no more money could be created since money would have to be backed up 100% by gold under a gold standard (my own interpretation). Isn't there a solution to this problem?

Col. Claus Von Stauffenberg - A Real Hero?

woschei
    By woschei,
    I am very interested in the Objectivist vision of heroism. Andrew Bernstein of The Ayn Rand Institute said in an interview that "a hero is somebody who is committed in one form or another to either the creation of or the defense of life-promting values." I think Col. Claus Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg fits in that definition. Von Stauffenberg made a dramatic turnaround from being an supporter of Adolf Hitler and his regime to carrying the bomb packed in a briefcase that was intended to kill him. The 60th anniversary of Stauffenberg's failed assassination attempt of July 20, 1944, will be commemorated in Germany on Tuesday. Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and President Horst Koehler will attend a ceremony at the Bendlerblock, the former Nazi war ministry in Berlin, where Stauffenberg and three fellow conspirators were executed by firing squad hours after the bomb went off. I reject any attempt to define von Stauffenberg's acting by altruistic terms. Lutheran bishop Wolfgang Huber said at Berlin Cathedral: "Those who sacrificed their lives during those days did not die in vain. Their example lives on." For a short biography of Stauffenberg look here: http://www.moreorless.au.com/heroes/stauffenberg.html

Score One For The Home Team! [says a Martha-hater]

ml_group
    By ml_group,
    Martha, I'm so sorry to hear you got 5 months in prison, 5 month house arrest and $30K fine. If it were any one of the other 99.99% of the population it would have been 5-10 years, 5-10 years probation and a forfeiture of almost all of our assets to pay for the fines. Please kindly refrain from whining as it is ruining my TV watching experience. Enjoy your last gourmet meal as you are about to be treated to the best spam the US Government could afford. Good riddance, ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is the best news I've heard in quite a while.

Diversity Development And Education Training

Jamesj
    By Jamesj,
    It's my office's turn for our new, mandatory, 4 hours of "Diversity Development & Education" training. To set the tone, the following metaphor, as well as the lesson we are to learn from the metaphor, is printed in the introductory workbook: Introduction: There is an ancient parable of a king who decides to celebrate his birthday by hosting an enormous banquet for his entire kingdom. He sends out dozens of envoys to proclaim the day and time of the event, adding that while a gift is not required, each attendee must bring with him a jug of wine. At the onset of the event, the jugs are to be combined in a voluminous cauldron from which glasses will be filled for all to drink and be merry. However, the town baker, busily kneading and folding the dough in his shop, decides he doesn't’t really have time to leave and visit the shop that sells spirits. Instead, he figures he can just fill a jug with water and quickly pour it into the cauldron without anyone’s notice. Well, on the day of the celebration, all the king’s subjects fill into the hall and pour their jugs’ contents into the vat, and our noble baker slyly does the same. The king stirs the contents, holds the first glass up to his lips, and drinks. Seconds later, his glass sails through the air. Enraged, he screams out. “Water!” In this story, the baker did not make the effort to briefly change his lifestyle and counted on the rest of the kingdom to contribute real jugs of wine. He did not believe in the power of the individual and figured the rest of the citizens would do their part and the secret would stay with him solely. However, as was later discovered, he was not alone. Not a single subject had bothered to bring the wine, and consequently, the blend was uniform and tasteless. As we can see, the individual does matter. Here, one person could have made a difference by bringing along a single jug of wine, and that by itself would have added a distinct taste to the mixture. This “taste” is what multiculturalism is all about. The different jugs of wine represent the diversity of society’s individuals, the different “tastes” of our culture. Unlike the parable, we must not combine our differences into one “melting pot,” averaging out the different tastes into one unrecognizable sum, but rather we affirm the value of each individual, blending his special flavors and strengths with the rest to create a pleasing whole. Of course, this is amusing, if not jaw dropping. However, this Diversity training is taught by true believers, who put their heart into the materials, (3 workbooks, approx. 35 pages each, chalk full of skewed logic, package deal, agreement frame checklists, and unrealistic, forced behavior, group activities) and whose sole job is to train all corporate levels, in all 50 states, as well as update company policy, setting the tone, and atmosphere, for our workplace. I found this fascinating, and really something to chew on, or apart! Hope you liked it.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS