Welcome to Objectivism Online Forum

Welcome to Objectivism Online, a forum for discussing the philosophy of Ayn Rand. For full access, register via Facebook or email.

• °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Selling Organs

Old Geezer
    By Old Geezer,
    First a preface; Uncle Sam and Uncle Kofi Annan and whatever other uncles I have dont have a right to regulate Buying/Selling of organs. (They do have the right to investigate use of force in such) That being said, Is selling one's organs wrong?

Can/should the state encourage rationality?

Old Geezer
    By Old Geezer,
    The courts have recently ruled that to protect society, the court can force individuals into mental health treatment. Anyone who has ever seen a schizophrenic on Haldol then off Haldol knows that medications can increase people's ability to think rationally, perceive reality accurately, and to adhere to important social norms (such as not acting aggressively) Often on these boards it has been asserted that a society of rational individuals is in everyone's best interests. Further, we all seem to agree that initiation of force without a good reason is pretty destructive. These would seem to be reasons to encourage the state to protect its citizens by taking "pre emptive action" and forcing treatment. Yet at the same time, it seems that the courts have extended the power of the state to act not only when a "clear danger to selves or others" exists, as was the case under Tarasoff, but now when patients erratic behavior is deemed to be enough to justify forced treatment. This would seem to offer the danger that the state might infring on peoples rights to be act in ways that dont harm others. Yet sometimes this erratic behavior is a precursor to extremely dangerous behavior. What is the rights of the state under such conditions??? What are the Responsibilities of the state?

Intro

Jason W
    By Jason W,
    Hey everyone, just a quick intro. Jason W here from Houston; transfering to Providence, RI this Sept. Just finished Atlas Shrugged about an hour ago, then got online and checked out Google for "Egoist" and came across the site. Going to start Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand when I get some free time. Looking forward to reading the site, Jason-

Hello to you from me

deanima99
    By deanima99,
    I'm so special I just received *two* invites to this group! (ocn and ari-campus) So I'm a newbie to this site but so far it looks great! I became interested in Objectivism in high school and have devoured all the literature and most of the tape sets since. I've been a student of the ARI OAC for three years now and was very active in the University of Illinois Club as an undergrad. And alas, I have just left the U of I for Yale University to pursue my Ph.D. in Psychology--specifically Cognitive Development. Glad to have found this site.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS