Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

first impression

meganfiala
    By meganfiala,
    WWWWWWWWWWWWell, My name is Megan, I live in Ottawa, Ontario, and I have been an objectivist for 2 years now. I'd just like to say that so far, I'm impressed with the rationality and logic that fills this site. There's a lot of b.s. on the net. Glad I found something worthwhile. I noticed that some people are senior members and others are juniors, etc. What are the qualifications??? Anyhow, hope to have some interesting conversations in the future, Megan

Bush's Shameful Assault Against Gay Marriage

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    George W. Bush has succeeded in taking Ronald Reagan's place as the faith-based demagogue of the Right. As you are all aware, his latest assault on individual rights is this constitutional amendment to ban gays from entering upon the legal entity of marriage. I Agree with Michale Hurd on criticizing this latest anti-individualist move And if that's not enough, Bush now wants to give our tax dollars in the form of government subsidies to "faith-based" (i.e. religious) programs; government subsidizing of private (including religious) schools in the form of "vouchers;" and opposition to the legality of abortion. What ever happened to the concept of separation of church and state? Or every man's right to his happiness and prosperity, regardless of one's sexual preference? Rather than abstain from voting this November I am going to make every effort to vote this clown out. For all his misgivings and his flip-flop, I can't see how Kerry can be any worse.

Dating

danielshrugged
    By danielshrugged,
    I have always had mixed feelings about dating and/or beginning romantic relationships generally. Is the purpose of dating or beginning a relationship to get to know someone better, even if you have doubts whether a relationship could go far? Or are relationships only for two people who already feel very close to one another? On the one hand, a relationship is something serious that demands seriousness from the people involved; on the other hand, it seems a relationship has to, in the beginning, be a sort of experiment, insofar as the two people in the relationship don't yet know each other as well as they could. Indeed, that seems to be a possible purpose for dating: to get to know each other.

My Introduction

Rearden
    By Rearden,
    Hi everyone my name is Rearden [Real name is Ashley]. I live in Australia and I have been a student of Objectivism for 4 years [i luv it]. I have two degree in Commerce (majored in Accounting, Economics, Commerical Law), Computer Science (majored in Software Development) and I am doing my Masters in Information Technology. I actually introduced myself on the OPAR discussion forum a number of months ago but I just haven't had the time to contribute to that site yet! There is just not enough time in the day for it. I have also studied a variety of areas such as philosophy (Kant, Aristotle etc etc), physics, biology, racism, religion (I was raised a christian and for some time was) and currently I am going thru some sociology. Hope to see and participate in some interesting dialogue with you guys. Ash

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS