Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

The Dialectic Fallacy

Bearster
    By Bearster,
    Many people today that I have encountered online in various Objectivist fora make a common error. It is implicitly based on the Hegelian dialectic. Hegel held there was no absolute standard for truth; reality was a social product. Truth was a process, he asserted, of thesis+antithesis=synthesis. A post on another topic here at objectivismonline.net stated: If there were an objective existence that was independant of consciousness or society, and if man's senses were able to perceive it, and if man's mind was competent to integrate his perceptions, then the "road to wisdom" would be based on perceiving reality and integrating one's perceptions. (One could listen to and read the logic of other people, but not as a substitute for one's own perception and conception). Arguing with others can help one develop debating skills. But it can't really increase one's confidence in one's own arguments. Frankly, if one is anything less than highly confident, one shouldn't be arguing anyways, but asking and listening!

Your thoughts on Ibn Rushd (a.k.a. Averroes)?

Old Geezer
    By Old Geezer,
    I am seeking info on Ibn Rushd... has anyone read him?? Where is a good source to understand his philisophical ties to Aristotle? Has anyone ever seen any writings by him which assert the primacy of reason I am also curious to know if he is currently an influential thinker in any parts of the crumbled academia of the Mid-East.

Introducing an oldsalt

oldsalt
    By oldsalt,
    Hello all. My name is Janet Busch. I'm an aging boomer -- and no, I've never been a hippy. I'm a retired R.N. My husband and I live on our boat (for the last 17 years) in San Diego. I am a physical invalid, eternally grateful to the people who have given me this wonderful window on the world. When I was no longer able to work, I decided to go back to school and indulge my love of philosophy. I don't have to tell folks here what a major disappointment THAT was. I continue my studies on my own. I've been a student of Objectivism since my 20's. The older I get, the more life-experience I have, the more I understand the profound truth of Objectivism -- and the remarkable depth of Miss Rand's accomplishment. I can't tell you the profound satisfaction I get from reading the thoughts of the young people on this forum. I long ago quit trying to argue with most people. I got tired of saying the same old things (old to me, anyway) and always having to begin at the beginning. Thus, I am thankful for this forum. It has enriched my days, and, wonderfully, stimulated my thinking.

In Response to Multiculturalism

Richard_Halley
    By Richard_Halley,
    In an apparent attempt to make a point about affirmative action, a small campus group at Roger Williams University give us this scholarship: It is getting national news coverage... they seem to have made their point well.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS