Welcome to Objectivism Online Forum

Welcome to Objectivism Online, a forum for discussing the philosophy of Ayn Rand. For full access, register via Facebook or email.

• °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

GMU Objectivst Club website

Guest Ben
    By Guest Ben,
    Hello everyone, The George Mason University Objectivist Club has a website and blog up at www.gmuoc.org We got the site going last February. We've found that a Movable Type blog is a great platform for a club site. It allows us to have in place all the static information about the club and it's events and allows for dynamic and consantly updated content. Five members all have the ability to post to the site, so between us, something gets posted on a very regular basis. All the best, Ben Rathbone www.gmuoc.org [Edit] Made the website linkable. [/edit]

Objectivism and the Environment

Simmons
    By Simmons,
    I have several questions about objectivism and the environment. It would seem from the admittedly somewhat limited literature I have read regarding objectivism and the environment that objectivists regard environmentalism as nonrational and "antiman". Do objectivists lump all environmentalist postitions in the same boat? What do objectivists say should be done if a capitalist system results in poor environmental conditions for people? As an example of the above, say a landowner pollutes a river that runs through his land to the point where it kills people downstream? Is he responsible, or is that his right as a property owner? To summarize my postition, I agree with objectivists that there are way to many Luddite type environmentalist extremists out there, and I see evidence that some are using environmentalism as a tool to promote an anti-technological agenda. However, I see no evidence that the objectivist position that I read about in the literature has any mechanisms or even sees the need for mechanisms to address environmental externalities in capitalism. Is this the case? If you could direct me to the appropriate literature I will read it. This essay by Michael S. Berliner is a fairly representative sample of the things I have read. Against Environmentalism Thanks for any assistance.

Bend It Like Beckham

AshRyan
    By AshRyan,
    I don't know if you all have seen Bend It Like Beckham or not yet--I believe it opened quite a while ago in the major markets (L.A., New York, Chicago), but it just recently opened in a few theaters here--but if you haven't, go see it! Overall, it's a very good movie, I found it quite enjoyable. It deals with themes of cross-cultural misunderstanding (like My Big Fat Greek Wedding), but does so in a way that emphasizes individual happiness, and the role of the individual in valuing (like Chocolat). Highly recommended...it's no T3, but I think you'll still get your money's worth. Oh, also, I just remembered that someone at OCON (Dr. Bernstein) was telling me that one of the lead actresses in the film (I believe the one who plays Juliet) is an Objectivist. Not sure if that's true, but it's certainly interesting.

Greetings Rational Minds

BIGBANGSingh
    By BIGBANGSingh,
    My name's Amar, & I'm President of the Objectivist club @ CMU. Concerning Objectivism, so far I've read: Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand On Ayn Rand The Logical Structure of Objectivism Guide to Objectivism Philosophy: Who Needs It Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology The Virtue of Selfishness Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (Atlas Shrugged is next) Philosophically, I'm also into Sikhi & Krishnamurti. I was curious as to if there are other (larger) non-email Objectivist forums out there. I was also wondering if you've found if Objectivism is taken seriously on other philosophy forums and why.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS