Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Association for Objective Law

CICEROSC
    By CICEROSC,
    Does anyone know if The Association for Objective Law is still an active organization? I see the link on the right at the home page of this forum, but it looks like the TAFOL site hasn't changed in years, and there's not much there. I am a lawyer and would like to network with other lawyers who like Ayn Rand. Also, I have been thinking of hiring an associate, and it would tell me a lot about a candidate if they knew of and appreciated Ayn Rand. I am aware of the Atlasphere (and even posted there some time ago) but I am reluctant to post further over there for reasons that are amply discussed by others elsewhere on this site (I am definitely not a Libertarian myself).

The bleak future

Tom Rexton
    By Tom Rexton,
    Over the next thirty years (beginning around 2005), the baby-boom generation will start retiring in huge numbers, the rate of which will not decrease until around 2035. At this time (2004), around 12% of the population is 65 yrs old or older; by 2035, that percentage will have risen to 21%. This will have been the most dramatic rise of in the senior (and retired) population in US history. To support them through the current social security system, we the current and future workers will be taxed so heavily that many of us will be driven into poverty, and the general living standards will plummet. At the same time, our national debt is soaring (currently $37 trillion, 65% of which was added in the 1990's), creating a temporary, artifical prosperity that threatens our future just as the enormous credit expansion of 1920's brought about the Great Depression. We are likely to face a more severe and prolonged depression in the near future, at around the same time the baby-boom generation will retire. Government size has steadily grown much faster than the economy. Now, nearly half (43%) of all spending is by government, not even including the cost of regulatory compliance (14%). Government spending on national security and defense has shrunk by a more than half from 1990 to 2000, and had been on a general decline since the 1950's. Meanwhile, government spending on social programs have soared (59% of government budget). All this has been accompanied by a tremendous increase in the power of the government, and more violations of individual rights. From 1970's to the present there has been general trend of decreasing labor productivity growth and economic growth, a stagnation if not decline in real wages and living standards, (not to mention education standards). Energy consumption has grown and continuous to grow while environmental regulations prevent Americans from producing more energy to consume from oil reserves and nuclear power plants. Terrorism is threatening our security while the government commits little to national security; It is hardly succeeding in its global war on terror and its war in Iraq, no thanks to the inconsistent, unprincipled, apologetic and appeasing foreign policy of our President (which tragically may be the best we can expect). Furthermore, our ability to adapt economically to face challanges such as those met by the US in WWII has declined significantly with growth the government, the immense size of which has actually weakened our ability to defend ourselves from external threats. Very soon we will meet a series of major crises (depression, terrorism, tyranny and poverty)--some of which we are already going through the first stages; and there hasn't been any substatial action taken to alleviate their effects if not avoid them altogether. There is no sign that the general trends of decline will reverse themselves anytime soon. I know that reason and capitalism are making a comeback in academia; but will it be fast enough to avoid the coming crisis? Will the American people take action before it is too late? It seems almost too late, now. The task of the New Intellectuals in the face of all this is almost impossible. Atlas may shrug soon, after all. ------- You can verify all these bleak stastics in greater detail here http://mwhodges.home.att.net/

Objectivism already?

iouswuoibev
    By iouswuoibev,
    Are there any countries, in our present time, that have an integrated laissez-faire government and full-strength capitalist economy? Are there any countries that come close to having this?

Fountainhead: The movie

TheCerebro
    By TheCerebro,
    I'm halfway through "The Fountainhead" and wondering if the movie was any good (no, I won't watch it untill I've finished the book)? I know Ayn Rand did the screenplay, but acting and directing can make a big difference? Also, was the movie based on "We the Living" good? Thanks for letting me know!

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS