Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Hello from Florida.

Jason Fowler
    By Jason Fowler,
    Hi, I'm Jason Fowler, a student in St.Cloud Florida. I have quite a variety of interests most of all philosophy, automechanics(specifically lubrication), and basketball. I come from the capitalism magazine forums. Now, I am pylon_man on capitalismforum.com, formally Jason Fowler of capitalismmagazine.com/forum, and things have gone quite downhill and I am hoping this forum will get back to the quality I'm used to.

Hello--nice to meet you all!

Apprentice
    By Apprentice,
    Hello- I just wanted to introduce myself before jumping right into other folders. I'm currently a science writer/editor from Illinois and hope to make a career change to culinary arts in the next few months. My first exposure to Objectivism and Ayn Rand was a couple of years ago when I picked up a copy of Atlas Shrugged. I've been a laissez faire capitalist in spirit and lover of reason and productivity for as long as I can remember (with the exception of a couple years of college where I must have decided such things were too much work.) Currently, I'm enjoying some of Rand's non-fiction and hope to move on to the rest of her writings and some other authors when I'm finished. (ie--Von Mises, Peikoff, Armentano, etc...) My goal in participating in this particular board is to improve my skills in the conventions of rational argument--and also just to be in an atmosphere conducive to Objectivist ideas. It gets a little lonely out there sometimes Anyway--I suppose that's it for an introduction. I'm really enjoying reading through old threads right now!

Utilitarianism

freefrag
    By freefrag,
    How should I convince people that their life is their highest value, not "greatest happiness for the greatest number"?

Good Fiction: Recommendations

Kitty Hawk
    By Kitty Hawk,
    A thread for book recommendations always seems like a good idea to me, so I'll start one here. As someone who enjoys reading Romantic fiction, I'm always eager to learn of other people's discoveries, in the way of good novels. Ayn Rand recommended the mystery by Mabel Seeley called The Crying Sisters. AR wrote a screenplay for it, after having convinced Hal Wallis to buy the movie rights to the novel. Actually, it seemed only an average mystery novel to me. I've since read three other mysteries by Seeley: The Beckoning Door, The Listening House, and The Whispering Cup. The Beckoning Door was on a level with The Crying Sisters. The Listening House was better, and it was Seeley's first novel. But the best of the bunch was The Whispering Cup. The story is set in Minnesota in the late '30's or early '40's (the novel was written in 1940). One of the main ingredients of the plot is the use of telephone "party lines," where more than one home uses the same line, and can listen in on conversations. The story revolves around a grain elevator (like Calumet "K"), and one of the main characters is the manager of that grain elevator. He's a business man, and very positively portrayed, although he is one of the many under suspicion for the murders that take place. Another business man is also portrayed in a very positive light. Then there is a bright youngster named "Corny," who is a proto-entrepreneur, with a great sense of life, and integrity. As with most of Seeley's novels, the main character/narrator of the story is a young woman, highly resourceful and competent, and one of the main suspects for the murders. The woman's relationship to one of the men in the novel---the grain elevator manager---exhibits the hero worship that AR described as the essence of femininity: That description fits the heroine of this mystery very well. As with so many good works of fiction, The Whispering Cup is out of print. It can still be found in the internet used bookstores, though, such as abebooks.com. Give it a try.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS