Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Interview with CapitalistChicks.com Co-founder

Guest Joshua
    By Guest Joshua,
    The Atlasphere is pleased to announce its interview with CapitalistChicks.com co-founder Debbie Branningan. In the interview, Debbie shares her thoughts on capitalism, political culture, her own discovery of Atlas Shrugged, and the meaning of femininity. The interview is available to all here: The Atlasphere Enjoy!

Hello!

AshleyAyn
    By AshleyAyn,
    Hello, I am a student of Objectivism and as of yet have found nothing that I cannot agree with in Rand’s philosophy. It was refreshing to first read _The Fountainhead_ and later _Atlas Shrugged_ and see an answer to all of my “why’s” I asked while growing up. My main goal – everything I do – is aimed at writing. I have already written one book, which I started before I really began to integrate Objectivism into my life. Now that I read my book I see too many fallacies in my plot/theme structure to pursue publishing it. What I realized is that I had no understanding of how to create Romantic larger than life characters. (In fact I hadn’t even realized until somewhat recently that this was what was lacking in my writing). There were good things going on in the book and I view the entire +700 pages as an exercise in writing and probably the only way for me to learn what not to do in the future (for instance I have a better idea of how to go about developing the plot, theme and style and a better understanding of each of these as they pertain to writing). I am not currently enrolled in college and have had a hard time devoting myself to college because of the vileness of the philosophy (or non-philosophy) that all of my teachers hold. I also hate going and seeing how low the standards are so that more people can pass their classes. However, I have read what Peikoff says about school and that has helped renew my desire to go back to school. Therefore, I hope to enroll in college again in the next semester or two, and I plan to just go full time and make it happen. Right now I work two jobs and spend most of my spare time reading (I have noticed a real lack in my knowledge of world history and so have been spending a lot of time in the library reading a text book on world history – I never actually took a world history class in high school and haven’t taken one in college yet). If anyone has a suggestion of an easily available, objective history textbook please let me know! I look forward to continuing to read the discussions on this forum. So far I have been fairly impressed with some of the poster’s true understanding of Objectivism and their ability to defend with integrity their position. I have spent very little time talking with anyone in the last couple of years (I’ve been some what of a hermit in my own way) and I am excited to see how other people think of Objectivism and it’s relation to their own lives. Of all the influences in my life Objectivism has had the largest impact on how I look at the world. I love to read fiction; I love to see fantastic Romantic art (I love the Quent Cordair website and I especially like Bryan Larsen, Damon-A.H. Denys, Quent Cordair, Han Wu Shen and Carol Rosemond). I love music. I play the clarinet and look for any music with virtuoso playing. There is a local pianist named John Schmidt who has three songs that I absolutely love (one is called All of Me). I am always looking for good music or good authors to read. I look forward to getting to know other Objectivists and learning how better to integrate this fantastic philosophy in all aspects of my life.

parents being responsible

sdm1277
    By sdm1277,
    My name is Shelly and I just found this froum and I am very interested in getting as many responses as I can from this topic. I am a student at the University of Southern Maine and I am looking for as much info as possible for a debate I will be doing in my Ethics class. I am no the side that says that parents should be responsible for any crime that the child commits. I am looking for anything if anyone wants to help me out. I understand that age is an issue and that will be part of the debate, whether or not the child is too old, and therefore would be charged as an adult. Thank you in advance for your help.

Happy Birthday Ash!

DavidV
    By DavidV,
    I hope you're having a great one

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS