Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Unprovoked attacks

MinorityOfOne
    By MinorityOfOne,
    Just wanted to toss in my two cents about something I see happening here a lot. People, especially newcomers, often write posts offering bad arguments or ideas. That's not a capital offense; can anyone here claim they've never honestly screwed up? (If it were a capital offense, I would deserve a firing squad composed of the entire population of China for some of the nonsense I've spouted over the course of my life.) The extent to which a person's ideas differ from Objectivism does not necessarily equal the extent to which they're intellectually dishonest or lazy. From personal experience, I'd go so far as to say that there's almost no correlation: I've met plenty of people who talked the Objectivist talk, but were astoundingly irresponsible and evasive in practice. Nor does the fact that somebody might think something is compatible with Objectivism which is not imply that they are dishonest. It can often imply nothing more than that they need to do more research. It's not an easy thing, usually, to determine that somebody is being evasive. It's a pretty serious charge. I won't point any fingers, but I'd like to see people give some serious thought to whether they've been unnecessarily dismissive or rude when responding to posts. This forum isn't just a place for people to preach to the choir, to talk about things they already know or to apply Objectivist principles they've already digested to new issues. It's also a place for discussion of the Objectivist principles themselves. I'd like to think it's a place where people who don't fully understand Objectivism can come and ask questions, even offer up the conclusions they've reached for debate. But so long as people treat disagreement as dishonesty, a lot of newcomers will walk away shaking their heads, having reached no conclusions except that it's useless to talk to Objectivists.

New John Williams

Richard_Halley
    By Richard_Halley,
    I had the unfortunate experience of hearing some of the theme music for the 3rd Harry Potter movie. This is exactly why I don't like John Williams. Watch the intro here to hear it.

When can the state order a strip search

Samoht
    By Samoht,
    When does a state have the moral right to order people to expose themselves and what should be the reaction of citizens? I just came across these two incidents. The first is a new device being used by the police in Britain, the second is an incident that occurred in America. Notice the reaction of the citizens in both nations and situations. Don't worry, both articles are short and to the point. Privacy is not a moral right, but what about liberty and freedom from constant government interference and scrutiny? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3573933.stm http://www.nbc10.com/news/2947362/index.html?subid=10101521

Social Workers

BlackSabbath
    By BlackSabbath,
    Social Workers Re-reading Atlas and the Fountainhead, I remembered that Ayn Rand hated social workers and was disdainful about them in those two novels. Can anyone tell me why she hated them?

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS