Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

New Blog

MinorityOfOne
    By MinorityOfOne,
    Hey guys, So... I was going to hold off until I got the code completely worked out, but nah... I'm getting to the point where I'm racking up more entries than people will want to read on a first visit, so it's time to go public. Check it out at http://minorityofone.rationalmind.net. I still have some work to do on the code, so there's a chance the site will look really weird at some point. Please let me know if it does -- it's possible that you've opened it while I'm working on the code, but it's also possible that there's a problem that I missed (particularly if you're using an unusual browser.) Be warned -- it looks crappy in a small window. I'm going to work on that. Until I fix it, just use full-screen and it ought to be ok. p.s. I like comments.

Hello, and an introduction

Carla
    By Carla,
    Hi everyone. I've been lurking around here for a while, and since I just posted for the first time (on another thread) I figure it's about time to introduce myself. I am a senior at Swarthmore College, an institution located on Crum Creek in Pennsylvania and once described by Spiro T. Agnew as "the Kremlin on the Crum." It's a nickname that still fits pretty well. I wouldn't call myself an Objectivist yet, as I am still learning, but I have been studying Objectivism off-and-on since my senior year of high school, and fairly seriously for the past year. I am a PoliSci major/English lit minor, and I intend to go to law school in the near future. I'll be graduating in May, and between now and law school, I have no idea what I'm going to do--though studying Objectivism is certainly part of the plan. At law school I hope to study IP law, and perhaps international law--maybe even both together. I love reading; listening to music of many kinds; dancing; travelling; looking at beautiful things, and making things around me beautiful; editing; photography; comedy; arguing about international and domestic events. I've met a couple of Objectivists my own age though the Objectivist club at UPenn/Drexel, but that's about it. It's very refreshing to read this board and see that Objectivist thinking is alive and well amongst us youngsters (and the young-at-heart). Thanks to those of you who facilitate/administrate the board, it's a great opportunity for the rest of us. --Carla, who couldn't think of a clever nickname for the board

What is the imagination in Aristotle's De Anima?

danielshrugged
    By danielshrugged,
    This is a question for those who have studied Aristotle's De Anima. I am in the process of writing a lengthy (20 pages) paper on the imagination in De Anima. Aristotle defines the imagination as a movement produced by sensation actively operating, and also says that such a movement will differ from the actual sensation in each of the three modes of perception: proper, incidental, and common (428b26). Aquinas, in his commentary, confirms my interpretation of this: that imagination refers to that motion resulting from proper, incidental, and common perception, and DOES NOT refer to the proper, incidental, or common perception itself. However, I have found some secondary sources which EQUATE imagination with the primary or common sense faculties, and thus say that it is in charge perceiving common and incidental objects of the senses, among other things. Is anyone familiar with this latter view? Is there anything to it that I might be missing?

me

Richard_Halley
    By Richard_Halley,
    about time i found a place where im not the one answering all the questions.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS