Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Mental Exercise - What Would You Do...

RadCap
    By RadCap,
    ...if, one day you awoke to find yourself in the Dark Ages? To give you some background on the question, I am asking this in the context of living a virtuous/rational life in a culture of irrationality. Under such conditions, how should one live one's life? What could/would one do to make one's life more 'livable' as an objectivist in a 'society' steeped in blatant irrationality and in which such irrationality had no rational counterpart (and indeed where the such rationality could run you afoul of the church and thus place your life in mortal danger). I am curious to see what the suggestions are from those on the board.

Master And Commander

RadCap
    By RadCap,
    Has anyone else seen this film yet? It is essentially plotless, but in the same way that Calumet K was plotless. And, like K, it also depicts efficacious men engaged in rational activities (such as defending the freedom of one's country). What is inspiring about the film is that it depicts this eficaciousness with no comment. It is not presented as heroic. It is not presented as an exception. It is presented as normal and expected human behavior. As such, it was extremely refreshing.

Ari Audio Lectures

RationalEgoistSG
    By RationalEgoistSG,
    I am currently looking into purchasing some audio lectures from the ARI bookstore. Seeing as how I am a poor college student, I am looking for lectures that would provide the most value. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

How would you define potentiality?

AshRyan
    By AshRyan,
    In my Ancient Greek Philosophy class this week, we have been discussing Aristotle's distinction between potentiality and actuality. An acorn is not an actual oak tree, but it has the potential to become an oak tree--but it does not have the potential to become an apple tree. A human child has the potential to become many different things--a doctor, a painter, a factory worker, etc., etc.--but not all of these things, and he does not have the potential to become, say, a toaster or a cow. My question is this: is it fair to say that potentiality is essentially a negative concept, which just means something along the lines of, "that which does not contradict the nature of the entity in question"? That is, does saying that an acorn has the potential to become on oak tree but not an apple tree simply mean that it would not contradict the nature of an acorn to become an oak tree, but it would contradict the nature of an acorn to become an apple tree? Or can potentiality be defined positively? How would you define potentiality?

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS