Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Tom Rexton

Tom Rexton
    By Tom Rexton,
    Hi, Jeff Franco is my real name and I am (or about to be in two weeks) a junior of Lakes High School in Lakewood, WA. I've lived in four states and two countries (my father is an enlisted, active-duty soldier who is currently deployed in Iraq). I was introduced to Objectivism by picking off the biggest book in my English teacher's book shelf. That book was The Fountainhead. I read it in November of last year and immediately after I finished it I bought Atlas Shrugged and managed to complete that in two weeks (with a lot of sleep deprivation! ). Had I not forgotten to bring my regular book to class for our individual reading assignments, I would never have discovered The Fountainhead and thereby Objectivism! Four the past few months I've been reading some of Ayn Rand's non-fiction, technical books to further my understanding and expand my knowledge of Objectivism. I've also been discussing it in a variety of forums to clarify some of the confusions that I still have with specific topics and issues.

Any Rutgers Objectivists?

Atlas51184
    By Atlas51184,
    Do any of you go to Rutgers University in NJ or know an Objectivist who does? I am going to be a freshman there in a few week, so... please tell me if the answer is yes.

Why does Dagny leave Atlantis?

F23AC
    By F23AC,
    Hey all. This is Anthony Carreras. I introduced myself in the introduction section prior to getting this registration thing down. Anyhow, I have a question I'd like to ask you all about a specific scene from Atlas Shrugged, which I am assuming most of you (if not all) have read. (Steve - I asked you this question once on IM). The scene is when Dagny is in Atlantis, debating in her mind whether or not to stay in Atlantis or go back to the railroad. John Galt says to her, "If any of your confusion is a result of a conflict between your heart and your mind, follow your MIND." My question is: by choosing to return to her railroad, did Dagny follow her heart or her mind? I have always wondered about this and it took my quite some time to arrive at an answer. I have determined for myself that she must have followed her mind. At first it is easy to say that Dagny followed her heart by going back to the railroad, simply because she felt so strongly for it and had such emotional attachment to it. But I truly believe that she was not completely convinced about the true value of Atlantis. For instance, when Galt tells her the creed "I swear by my live and my love of it..." she says that she has always lived by that code. But then she says to Galt: "But I don't think that yours is the way to practice it." Also in support of my conclusion, I believe that Dagny truly thought that she was going to be able to save her railroad by going back. I believe that she made a rational decision based on her value for the railroad, rather than a decision based on emotional whim. I'm curious if anyone here has any thoughts on this matter. Thanks. AC

People: Leo Strauss

Atlas51184
    By Atlas51184,
    I was reading about Leo Strauss here and I wanted to know if anyone has any opinions of him. My knowledge is limited to what I read in this article.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS