Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Kant

BIGBANGSingh
    By BIGBANGSingh,
    "I've heard Objectivists criticized for misinterpreting Kant, can anyone whose studied Kant comment on what the basis of these criticisms and on whether they have any merit?" (Original inquiry has been rephrased thanks to GCS' suggestions.)

Great big hello

nemethnm
    By nemethnm,
    Hello, my name is Nick Nemeth. I am a physics major at Purdue University. I am active in my local ARI sponsored Objectivist Club. I am interested in aeconomics, politics, logic, and physics. If you would like to interrupt my excruciatingly boring life you can get ahold of me through AIM: nne158

Christianty plus Objectivism

Closed_Pockets
    By Closed_Pockets,
    I've read over a portion of the posts on this site, and have been moderately intimidated by the concepts discussed, so I think I will choose this section as the platform for my first real post. I have read Atlas Shrugged twice and also The Fountainhead. Atlas Shrugged profoundly changed my life by destroying the mounting guilt that I felt for never caring about anyone. However, over the past two years I have struggled with my religious beliefs due to the enlightenment showered upon

Where does Aristotle claim man has x-ray vision?

danielshrugged
    By danielshrugged,
    Aristotle's theory of universals has been characterized as one which places the universals in the particulars, placing "essences" [ti en einai, what it is for something to be] entirely out there in objects. Whereas Plato placed Forms in another world, Aristotle places them in the particulars. Still absent from this theory is the role of the human mind--rather than a theory of concept-formation and abstraction, he supposedly claims man has a power of "x-ray vision" to see the essences of things.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS