Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Hello

lbridges
    By lbridges,
    I've lurked about here for a short time and been reading threads I found interesting. Thought perhaps I might eventually contribute in some useful fashion, and so have registered. My educational background is in physics and math, and my working experience has been in physics, engineering, and management. I enjoy philosophical discussions but practically speaking have no formal training - still learning the language so to speak. For that reason I hope you will make some allowances, and I prom

What is the proper way to establish a government?

Godless Capitalist
    By Godless Capitalist,
    As far as I know Rand never addressed the proper way to establish a government. She discusses the nature of government, but not how it would be formed. She does approvingly quote the Declaration of Independence saying that “governments derive their ... powers from the consent of the governed” This seems to imply that some form of democracy is needed. The problem I see with democracy is that if the voters do not think and vote rationally then the government will not be rational either. Woul

Real people in the real world

ernie
    By ernie,
    I've been talking back and forth with one of my professors about my philosophy and how it's been influenced by Ayn Rand's novels. We started talking about the criteria we use to decide who we want to interact with or form relationships with. I stated that I do not desire the underserved and that I only consider friendship valid when each party values the other for the best within them - the strongest part of their character. She replied that although one intitially values others for the best w

Rwanda

ernie
    By ernie,
    After reading The Virtue of Selfishness, I'm pretty sure I undersand Ayn Rand's position on military intervention in foreign affairs. She basically says the right to intervene exists when a foreign nation is violating the rights of its citizens. Between April and June, 1994, an estimated 800,000 Rwandans were killed in 100 days. Yes, the united nations did intervene, but they pulled out long before the genocide was over. When an event this evil takes place; when nearly 1 million

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS