Objectivism Online Forum

How Do You Celebrate?

Rate this topic

Today was the last day of my B.A.

Whenever something good happens in my life, or whenever I finish an important phase, I am struck with a great need to celebrate, which often goes unrealized. When my girlfriend was in the same continent, we used to go out for ice-cream, or a walk, or meet with friends... but... It wasn't extraordinary enough.

Now that I'm alone, I found myself drinking a Coke (which I usually don't do), taking a short walk, and taking the evening off from work to read a novel. That's it - to summarize 3 years of intensive effort. :(

I'm interested in hearing how do people here celebrate important occassions in their lives.

I must celebrate every day. Because i drink coke often.

But as for the celebrating thing. I think that celebrating in the normal sense is overrated. I dont like parties. I dont consider eating or drinking celebrating so basically i dont celebrate.

Some ways in which I celebrate important occasions:

1.) Wine.

2.) Music.

3.) Time with friends.

4.) Dancing.

5.) Good food.

6.) A movie.

Usually, I combine most of these. Celebration IS important to me. Pursuit of values requires effort, and it can sometimes leave one feeling drained. A little time spent away from work and instead in some celebratory activity helps one remember that the pursuit of these important values is worth it. And even when I'm not drained, when I'm enjoying the pursuit of some value and don't want to stop, celebration is a way to intensify that enjoyment.

yea i guess i agree that one should celebrate. I just dont consider going to a movie celebration, or being with friends, or wine ( i cant drink im not 21), and i hate parties. I can do any of those activities any or every day. Why is that so much of a celebration? In college, i am with friends every day. I can go to the movies every night. If i were 21 I could drink whenever. I thought celebrations were supposed to be something above the norm.

For me, a true celebration involves dressing up and going to a really expensive restaurant, very private, with only a couple of other people. Talking about plans for the future of what we are celebrating, etc. Celebrating is about surrounding yourself with things that make you feel good in order to mark the event both intellectually and physically.

Well, movies are no celebration for me. I watch movies all the time.

When times are good, I go to the movies once a month at least.

Expensive restaurant - now that's more like it. In the future I would probably celebrate important occassions by taking the week off, and doing some traveling, or going to the Opera or a concert... something like that.

If there was a good museum near by I would go there. Can't wait to live near the Met! :(

Well, everything I listed is more or less out of the ordinary for me. (Although I spend time with friends most days, I was above referring to something longer or more intimate.) And when I am going through something together with friends, such as writing my annual essay at college, it would be meaningful to share the celebration with them.

Congrats on finishing you BA.

Celebration for me used to be about wine and cigars with 2 of my best friends who owned a wine and cigar shop respectively. Now, to celebrate I prefer having a nice dinner with my fiance at one of our favorite restaurants. My work and her law school we don't have alot of time together. Doing nothing but sitting together and talking over fondue is a real treat for us.

I think the escense of celebration is about engaging in an affirming and rewarding activity that we normally woulnd't. Spending time with my top value means more to me than anything else. Since I used to entertain clients with expesive dinners etc, high dollar restaurants don't do much for me.Same for expensive wine and cigars.

Congratulations.

I find that going away into a quiet, secluded area for a weekend or so is a great way to celebrate. Especially if you go with someone or some people that you consider to be special. Allows time for celebration, reflection and planning for future undertakings. My girlfriend and I recently reached our 2year anniversary. And since any good relationship is based on productive effort and achivement, and therefore worthy of celebration, we will be going to this place: http://www.borokadowns.com.au/ for about a week or so. Should be great.

Buy one or two bottles of middle ranged wine: California, Argentina, Chile, France, Italy, South Africa, Australia. Buy various types of cheeses. Buy various types of olives. Buy various types of grapes. Have your favorite poetry, fiction, music, painting, even your favorite philosopher. Have a friend who understands your achievement (optional). Maintain focus of the pleasure of your body. Be sensitive and accept the gradual heightening. Go to sleep. Have a good breakfast. Do some cardiovascular. Continue with your regular life.

Or, have a coke if that’s enough.

Congratulations,

Americo

Well,

I don't know a lot about wines, and I don't smoke. Cardiovascular I do anyway... :)

Maybe we should start a wines thread, as some of you seem to know so much about it.

That's a capital idea. I have come to really enjoy wine as well as cooking. I find the creative process behind coming up with new dishes very relaxing.

I am blessed enough to live in Washington D.C. There is nothing like celebrating at the foot of Thomas Jefferson or in the shadow of George Washington. And when I'm in a bad mood, I can throw eggs at FDR!

Congratulations Eran! I think that if your partner were with you, you wouldn't be feeling at such loose ends. The best celebrations have that mirror that reflects back your own joy.

Anytime I want to celebrate, I go sailing. Since my husband and I live on a sailboat, this doesn't sound like anything special, but these days it is. I'm not healthy and I pay physically for sailing. But when I want to celebrate I sail. For me, there is nothing like it and the payment seems small for the moments of pure joy from being alive in the world.

Even though I'm no longer able to enjoy the physical work of sailing the boat myself, I have a wonderful husband who takes me out. (I save it for very special occasions, however, because he worries too much about me to enjoy it as I do.) Sailing involves every sense: the smell of the water, the feel of the power in your hands as you cut through the wind and waves, the sound of the water rushing by the hull and the snap of the sails, the taste of the salt air, and the beautiful sight of the crisp white sails against the blue sky. I love to be out far enough that I see nothing but the vastness of the sky and the water, and my man controlling our destiny.

congrats on BA.

It is pretty common to do stuff with friends, buy something nice, or treat myself to a dinner, but sometimes it's nothing all that unique or even planned. Sometimes, I would be doing a simple activity I typically enjoy, but it takes on a special significance due to the fact that I just accomplished something huge.

For instance when I finally finished my Masters thesis, I dropped off the manuscript to Kinkos and went next door for a slice of pizza and a beer while they made the copies. I've had pizza/beer many times before, but just sitting there, enjoying my lunch, free of writing the thesis was very satisfying (cause i finished it, rather than quiting like i almost did at one point).

A couple months later after I began working and had moved to a much nicer place, i went for a bike ride along the coast. It was late in the afternoon on a sunday and suddenly I had this wave of dread that i had to get home and work on my thesis, but then realized i was free, living on the beach with a great job, and i could ride as long as i wanted, deserving every second of it.

Congratulations!

I usually just take the ferry to Seattle with one or two special people, dress up, and eat out.

I think the ultimate celebration would be to take time off work and school and take a roadtrip or a camping trip, a cruise or any kind of travel.

Have you read the book "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac? You might not like a roadtrip so much after reading that. Or maybe it might sell you on the road trip thing. Its a book that will do that to you.

Road Trip used to equal vacations for me. My father would load the whole clan into the Vista Cruiser and we'd drive for two weeks. I did manage to see or camp in 49 states by the time I was 18. Which is nice.

I find driving non-stop from Houston to El Paso or to Panama City not that weird. Though my favorite is to take breaks by stopping at corny roadside attractions. You get to find some interesting people and things that way. Plus always asking locals where a good place to camp yields some very nice not-in-the-guidebooks sites.

I'm planing as a celebration for some special occasion in work or in school to take few days and visit a place which has a special meaning for me - beautiful and interesting woman on my side of course :) . For example since I like Greek culture I would like to visit Greece and spend a few days there - to see some historical monuments, to spend some time near the sea or in mountains, to taste Greek wine and try Greek dancing.

Other place that comes to my mind are actually United States. I would like visit Washington and read Declaration of Independence or to take a walk on Wall Street.