Objectivism Online Forum

TF Essay Contest Results

Rate this topic

I won. :lol:

It was very exciting. I couldn't even celebrate, though, 'cause I'm in India for another two weeks. It's very hot and humid!

I would post the essay, but I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to. But I know they will be posting it on aynrand.org eventually.

I knew I would do well, since they asked me for my phone number to tell me my results that way. I figured I had at least gotten a third place prize.

But first place!! Not too shabby, eh? :)

The $10,000 will go directly towards paying for my first semester of college.

I won. :)

Wow, Mimpy! That's amazing. Kudos and Congratulations and Kol HaKavod and Yaasher Koach! (you can get from context what the last two mean :D ) I can't wait to read your essay... Maybe it will give me tips for the AS one I plan to write for this fall :ninja:

Congratulations! Yes. I know how hard it is too even finish an essay on The Fountainhead when one is young, and so it is tremendous to win, given the types of judges, and their high standards. You should be really proud of yourself and use this as motivation to continue to write essays on Objectivism and other intellectuall ideas that interest you for the rest of your life.

Jose Gainza.

Thanks so much, guys, for the kind words and presents! I feel great.

I chose the first essay topic, on the practical vs. moral dichotomy. I am going to email ARI and ask them exactly what the deal is with copyrights and whatnot, since many people have been asking to read my essay. Either way, I feel famous. This has been a fun experience. I really wasn't expecting winning first place. I knew my essay's content was correct, but of course I did not know how many other people's work would be just as good. They told me it was pretty close in the end, but mine held out. So cheers!

Edited by Mimpy

I won. :lol:

It was very exciting. I couldn't even celebrate, though, 'cause I'm in India for another two weeks. It's very hot and humid!

I would post the essay, but I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to. But I know they will be posting it on aynrand.org eventually.

I knew I would do well, since they asked me for my phone number to tell me my results that way. I figured I had at least gotten a third place prize.

But first place!! Not too shabby, eh? :D

The $10,000 will go directly towards paying for my first semester of college.

A board member wins it! You must be an excellent writer. Congratulations!

Finally! The essay is up! At $10,000 - each word on average in that essay is worth just over $6.00! and paragraphs reach $1,000s! (although literarily it's worth much more!)

How's it feel being our OO celebrity? :)

(Next time you come in the chatroom, I'm going to have my digicam on me, and I want my picture taken with you! :D )

Edited by intellectualammo

Great essay!

Your last line of the essay, I placed it in spoiler brackets for those who haven't read it, although everything leads up to it.

Ayn Rand shows through these characters’ values, thoughts, and actions that being moral truly leads to achieving practical success. Keating sacrifices everything he loves for instant gratification. Roark is the hero who clings passionately to everything he loves because he values his own life and the fuel it requires to keep his mind, body, and spirit alive.

I loved this part so much that I want to keep it for my own reference. :)

I loved this part so much that I want to keep it for my own reference. :)

There are specific parts that are of considerable wealth literarily to me in her essay, but I didn't paste any here, because of what it said at the bottom of that page. I wasn't sure if I could. I think I've accidentally done that with a line or two from Peikoff's site as well, not knowing I wasn't supposed to. So, now I always check first.

Edited by intellectualammo

There are specific parts that are of considerable wealth literarily to me in her essay, but I didn't paste any here, because of what it said at the bottom of that page. I wasn't sure if I could. I think I've accidentally done that with a line or two from Peikoff's site as well, not knowing I wasn't supposed to. So, now I always check first.

You're right. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Could a moderator delete my posting #22, apparently it's in violation of copyright. Thanks! B)