Objectivism Online Forum

Mouse Pad Sensitivity

Rate this topic

I was using a lap-top computer to try to write to the forum and where I was typing in the letters kept changing to whereever the curser was at. I thought it might have been a problem with Internet Explorer on that computer, but it turns out the left mouse button on the finger pad is very sensitive to vibrations. I tested this theory out by very lightly tapping on the finger pad, and the left mouse button was activated. I'm certain this is the problem as I tried different websites and programs, and sure enough, if I type normally on the keypad the left mouse button gets activated, leading to all sorts of confusions about "What did I do?!" for the operator.

Is there a way to make the finger pad or the mouse buttons less sensitive?

Thanks!

Some manufacturers include special settings in the mouse settings (or a program running in the tray) for the touchpad. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer though.

On Compaqs and HPs, they have a toggle button for the touchpad, while (at least on my) Gateway, they have the mouse sensitivity addon for the Mouse settings. It works pretty well, but I still find myself lying my palm on the touchpad and then typing wherever the mouse lay idle.

Well, I checked around on the official Vaio Sony site, and there is no specific control for the sensitivity of the mouse pad for this model. Seems the pad itself gets activated if I touch it, like the pad is sensitive to infrared or something, because I can barely feel myself touching the pad, and yet it gets activated as if I clicked the left mouse button.

However, being a picture framer and used to dealing with reality like I am, I have come up with a solution! I cut a small piece of mat board approximately 2 3/4" by 10" to flip over the mouse pad when I am typing like mad, and it works. No more accidental left mouse activations! I taped the board to the front of the machine, so that I can filp it down to uncover the mouse pad or flip it up to cover it and I'm typing away like crazy and no more problem.

Yeeeehaaaa!

Picture framers rule!

• 1 month later...

You have not denied touching the touchpad while typing.

It sounds like you were mis-integrating the problem, but by your second post, you were on the right track :smartass:

Now, please dont take offense at me saying so and launch countless stronger though *implied* personal attacks asserting my inability to post without attacking people.. ... .. I think you know to what I'm referring.

Actually it is likely *not* the left mouse button that is sensitive to vibrations, but the touch pad itself which is programmed to respond to a tap as a click- i.e. the simplest answer is that it is working as intended. Typically it's not how hard you hit the pad, but the velocity as you approach.. it's wierd like that. I was surprised to find that I had to go to control panel, mouse, advanced tab, Advanced feature settings, pointer speed and tapping settings, and tapping settings just to get to the checkbox that says disable tapping during key input.. what a pain in the... I'm not opitimistic that sony made it any easier for you than toshiba did for me.

Good luck,

JB

Edited by Saiphes

Now, please don't take offense at me saying so and launch countless stronger though *implied* personal attacks asserting my inability to post without attacking people.. ... .. I think you know to what I'm referring.

I am soooo misunderstood.....

tapping settings just to get to the checkbox that says disable tapping during key input.. what a pain in the... I'm not optimistic that Sony made it any easier for you than Toshiba did for me.

Actually, as far as I can tell, there is no way to reduce or to disable the tapping = left mouse click on this model, so I just cover the thing when I am typing. It's easier than re-training my thumbs.

But, thanks! :lol:

Edited by Thomas M. Miovas Jr.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.