Objectivism Online Forum

Steve Hanks

Rate this topic

~Sophia~

Thanks for posting these! I have admired Steve Hanks's artwork for many years, but there are some paintings here I had not seen before. He is truly a master of capturing emotion in his art.

Inexpensive prints of his paintings have been available for a while; I've found many for sale in local shopping malls. (I finally ran short of wall space to hang them on, so I had to cut back on my purchases.)

The book The Art of Steve Hanks - Poised Between Heartbeats has over 100 pages of color reproductions of his work, and also the story of his development as an artist and how he came to decide to paint what he does.

Wow, I've seen some of these before but didn't realize they were water colors. I didn't know that kind of distinction was possible with water colors. Does Steve Hanks always (or usually) use them?

An allergic reaction to oils forced him to experiement with watercolors and he found that was able to create watercolors as finished as oils.

Not that I can imagine creating anything like that with watercolor, but Nature's Beauty really amazes me with the clear reflection on the water and the rocks underneath. How do you do that with watercolor???

I've been working in the art business for over twenty years and have run a few galleries in the last fifteen years, and I have loved some of Steve Hank's work for all of that time. I lost track of him for a few years, because it seemed like once he got a family he focused on essentially family portraits, which are not as much to my liking. His nudes have always impressed me due to their sensuality, but the ones shown at the beginning of this thread are spectacular! I think he has improved his style, which is a rare thing for artists who have been well known for twenty or more years. Artists, like other people, can fall into a rut and stick with what has sold, rather than making artistic improvements in their art-- but Steve Hanks didn't do that, and for this I congratulate him.