Objectivism Online Forum

Raleigh/Durham Research Triangle Area

Rate this topic

Maarten

Hey everyone! I recently arrived in Raleigh and I'll be going to NCSU for the coming two years to get a master's degree there. I think there are quite a few people from the area around Raleigh because of all the major universities here (UNC, NCSU and Duke come to mind :)).

If anyone else who is from around here could post in this thread we would have a better idea of how many of us there are, exactly, and whether there's some merit to the idea of meeting up sometimes. As far as I know there aren't any Objectivist clubs around here, but if there are enough of us we might be able to start something like that or just get together on a regular basis to watch movies and have social gatherings of other kinds.

Anyway, post here if you live in the area and would be interested in this!

(I know there's at least several others!)

As far as I know there aren't any Objectivist clubs around here, but if there are enough of us we might be able to start something like that or just get together on a regular basis to watch movies and have social gatherings of other kinds.

Hi Maarten,

Last I heard, Duke University has a pretty big Objectivist club. I recommend getting on their mailing list!

The "Members" menu option has a button named "Toggle More Options...". Using this, you can search for members who say they're from North Carolina. You might know that already, but I thought I'd mention that, because it might be of general interest too.

But the good thing is that there's an incredibly large number of younger people in this area due to all the universities and cities and spin-off companies around here. I think it would be feasible to just set up an organization for the whole triangle... it is far easier to get enough participation doing that rather than just basing it at one university. Any meeting place in the triangle is not going to be very far, no matter where you live, as long as you can find a car for transportation.

So, I think at least the logistical prospects are good and there's a lot of potential in terms of population around here. Plus, there are a whole lot of good pro-reason/capitalism initiatives in this state with Founder's College and BB&T operating in the area :)

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I don't know of one either. There's a libertarian group here (sort of organized by my roommate, funny coincidence =P) but they're a little strange. At least my roommate is a very rational individual. I certainly don't agree with him on everything, and he has some problems that many libertarians have, but overall it's really nice to talk to someone once every now and then who is also very much in favor of free markets and rights =)

I will most likely leave this area at the end of the academic year so I don't know how much use there is in trying to start an Objectivist club. Several of the other people in the area I know who are Objectivists aren't here right now, so it's kinda empty.

• 1 year later...

I will be in the area from 10/14/10 to 10/16. Checking out places to live. But, always interested in meeting fellow Objectivists. If anyone in the area has some free time and would like to meet up, let me know!

I know there is an emerging cluster of Objectivist intellectuals in the Raleigh-Durham area now. Greg Salmieri and Jason Rheins both hold Anthem fellowships at UNC Chapel Hill, and John Lewis holds one at Duke. (Also, is Gary Hull still at Duke? I haven't heard anything from him in some time.) Whether there is significant community or student activity I couldn't say, but the Objectivist academic quotient is off the charts (by Objectivist standards, at least).

I know there is an emerging cluster of Objectivist intellectuals in the Raleigh-Durham area now. Greg Salmieri and Jason Rheins both hold Anthem fellowships at UNC Chapel Hill, and John Lewis holds one at Duke. (Also, is Gary Hull still at Duke? I haven't heard anything from him in some time.) Whether there is significant community or student activity I couldn't say, but the Objectivist academic quotient is off the charts (by Objectivist standards, at least).

That's awesome! I'll take quality over quantity any day :)

Hmmm, seems like with professors and intellectuals, you'd end up with students and other activism starting to form. It's exciting to hear the word "emerging" as opposed to "dying".

It's exciting to hear the word "emerging" as opposed to "dying".

Yes. Of course, all of this was made possible by -- and depends on -- continued funding from the Anthem Foundation. So if you like what they're doing, get thee forth and give them some money!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

I am a young professional working in Raleigh interested in meeting other Objectivists. There is an Objectivist Meetup group in the area, which meets from time to time but not regularly.