Objectivism Online Forum

Religion and Social Issues

Rate this topic

K-Mac

I was pleasantly surprised to see that nearly half of Americans surveyed believe you can be moral without believing in or worshiping God! (A little less than halfway down the page.) http://pewresearch.org/pubs/607/global-trade-immigration

The other surveys in the report are interesting too, but the Religion and Social issues poll surprised me.

• 2 months later...

Here's an article about a recent gallup poll on the subject.

• 82% of Americans identify with some type of Christian religion (even if they don't actively worship). This is down from about 91% in 1948
  • 62% said they were members of a "church or synagogue" (past numbers: 1937-73%, 1940-1960-around 70%, Since 2002- about 64%)
  • 44% say they attend church once a week or almost once a week
  • 56% said religion was "very important" in their lives (past numbers: 1950s-60s: 70%, since the 1970s: in the 55%-65% range)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that nearly half of Americans surveyed believe you can be moral without believing in or worshiping God!

That is not necessarily all good news. Most secularists are little more than neo-mystics who worship the whims of society rather than the whims of an Almighty God. To them, every society determines its own standards of what is right and moral. If what is right in my society differs from what is right in yours, well that is just fine. There are no objective standards of right and wrong anyway. What is right for me may not be right for you. So go ahead, enslave your people. Who are we to impose our values on you? Obviously, I too believe that a man can be moral without God, I just dont have much faith in mans ability to do so.

Obviously, I too believe that a man can be moral without God, I just dont have much faith in mans ability to do so.

Then you are suggesting that there is something wrong with man's free will. Since I dispute that, as well as that there are both the physical and emotional benefits to offer which most religions don't, I have no such lack of 'faith' and am instead confident that man has every ability to accept a nicely godless and objective morality if given good reasoning and motivation. Question the if as you may, but the then is a surety - that's why the bastards opposing us have to work overtime and get really nasty to fight that if.

JJM