Objectivism Online Forum

Albert Einstein On the Source of All True Art and Science

Rate this topic

Julian

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein

Do you agree? Why or why not?

It is mystery, it is the mysterious that often gives our inquiry it's impetus, desire for an answer. One of the most beautiful things we can experience is when that mystery has been solved, when the mysterious is no longer mysterious.

I believe mystery is the source of Art, in the same way that a supermarket is the source of tonight's dinner - it is not the inherent existence of these things that produces our valued outcome, but our selective picking and examining of the various sections, that allows us to form from it, a coherent creation.

pffft. I'm with ammo on this one. I'll also add that un-illuminated mystery with regards to the really important things is a source of misery. Plato's cave, you will. The world is happier if it is known, knowable and predictable. And ART should reflect that essential fact.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein

No. Not knowing something while suspecting it is important is annoyance. Thinking and discovery can be enjoyable enough to be worth dedicating a life to, but they are not ends in themselves. They have a purpose, and that purpose is the advancement of human happiness.

I know not if this earth on which I stand is the core of the universe or if it is but a speck of dust lost in eternity. I know not and I care not. For I know what happiness is possible to me on earth. And my happiness needs no higher aim to vindicate it.

JJM

Bafflement and curiosity is the itch. Science is the scratch. The are no mysteries. There are only problems (some of them very difficult problems) to be solved.

Bob Kolker

Edited by Robert J. Kolker