Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Halloween Costumes

Rate this topic

I remember, not during Halloween, I dressed up like the stereotypical Capitalist/Robber Baron in a monocle, top hat, long coat tailed suit, black pants and fancy white dress shirt. I walked around the mall and spoke in a deep British accent. So many perplexed faces.

I remember, not during Halloween, I dressed up like the stereotypical Capitalist/Robber Baron in a monocle, top hat, long coat tailed suit, black pants and fancy white dress shirt. I walked around the mall and spoke in a deep British accent. So many perplexed faces.

Sounds like the outfit Mr. Peanut wears! :D

Edited by K-Mac

I was talking with a friend today and we were trying to come up with Objectivist-themed Halloween costumes.

Are there any that you'd like to try or have tried?

Wow. I bet those Objectivist-themed Halloween costumes would go perfect with an Objectivist-themed Halloween party!

If there was one, I'd totally go as the Leo that could have been, so that I could leave with Kira! :thumbsup: Hahaha!

Happy Halloween!

One could dress up as a famous industrialist who had a distinct appearance, such as Andrew Carnegie.

If one wants to be especially silly, one could become zombie Andrew Carnegie.

"I used to say my heart was in my work*, but now it is IN MY HAND!"

* "My heart is in my work" is a famous Andrew Carnegie quote.

There's a site called uglydemocrats.com and I'm only now learning about it?!

When I do costumes, which is rare, I tend to pick movie/TV characters that have qualities I like. I have a very nearly complete Generic Ravenclaw Student costume, half a Fourth Doctor costume, and the beginnings of a Sky Captain costume. If the Atlas Shrugged movie actually manages to get itself made (and to not suck), I'll probably end up with a costume from that. For me, a costume is only fun if it's both iconic and recognizable. I also subscribe to the "Halloween is an excuse to play dress-up in public" camp as opposed to the "Halloween is supposed to be scary" camp, so I don't have any scary costumes.

~Q

I'm thinking I could do Spike Spiegel, since I've always thought he was really cool, but no one seems to know who he is. :thumbsup:

I could always be the Doctor, if Kendall or Greedy Capitalist wanted to be Captain Jack Harkness.

Otherwise I'll just shave my head, stick a plunger on there, and go as Dan Edge.

Well, remembering that Halloween is about the horrible and the dead, some examples would be this, this, this, this and this.

Objectivist monsters, I love it. The Branden one is really creepy....

Edited by KendallJ

I was going to say, David, that I never realized Halloween was about being scary, I thought it was about getting candy for free.

You could go dressed as a skyscraper . . . kind of harkening back to the party in The Fountainhead where all the architects went dressed as their buildings. (Proof positive that Ayn Rand had an excellent sense of humor.) Statue of Liberty wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

A simple costume would be to get a white tunic and sandles, rip up the back of the tunic and paint it with fake blood, then get yourself a box with some wires in it. Ta-da, you're Prometheus from Anthem.

You could dress as a grungy train mechanic and carry a lantern. (John Galt.)

If you want to go as any of the other characters, just do what a friend of mine did at a long-ago Halloween party. He showed up in this absolutely *gorgeous* red suit, every pleat ironed, beautiful tie with a clip. I asked him "who are you supposed to be?" and he said "I'm the guy from the cover of GQ!"

Or, go as one of the monks from Monty Python and the Holy Grail and hit yourself in the head with a board a lot.