Objectivism Online Forum

Where are my "new/unread post" indicators?

Rate this topic

K-Mac

For the past few days, the little orange boxes that appear next to my unread posts have gone missing. Can someone help me find them? :) (Both at home and at work, by the way.)

Edited by K-Mac

For the past few days, the little orange boxes that appear next to my unread posts have gone missing. Can someone help me find them? :) (Both at home and at work, by the way.)

At the risk of sounding like a second-hander, I am glad I am not the only one. :)

Seriously, it's a bit of a pain especially on threads that get a lot of posts to try to figure out where I should start reading to keep current.

It was wealth-redistribution. Some under-funded forums in the inner-city just couldn't afford to put little orange boxes next to their new topics, so the only moral thing that could happen was the government stepping in and making sure every forum had its fair share.

Also, the little American flags have disappeared - the ones that appear on the left hand side of tabs, when one tab-browses through the forum (don't tell me you guys use anything other than tabs to browse the forums!).

Favicon?

~Q

An update: the guys who develop the forum software (IPB) are aware of this bug. They say it'll be fixed in the next patch release. Meanwhile, they have also provided instructions on how to patch it manually. Unfortunately, it's more than a single line in a single file. I hope to try their work-around soon (hopefully over the weekend).

An update: the guys who develop the forum software (IPB) are aware of this bug. They say it'll be fixed in the next patch release. Meanwhile, they have also provided instructions on how to patch it manually. Unfortunately, it's more than a single line in a single file. I hope to try their work-around soon (hopefully over the weekend).

Thank you. I find this board very hard to use without it, though the My Assistant workaround helps somewhat.

(Of course that could be my ignorance of how best to use this site.)

I've applied the fixes and haven't broken anything blatantly obvious in the process.

So, anyone who has encountered this problem can now try this.

1. Once you're done reading new posts in the inconvenient way now required... click the link that "Marks all New Posts read"

According to the instructions, this step is required, before it will work right.

2. Sometime later, come back to the forum and check if the "pips" have appeared correctly for stuff you have not read.

3. Report back, here :lol:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.