Objectivism Online Forum

Two Lectures By Andrew Bernstein in Greenville SC - Nov 8 and 10, 2007

Rate this topic

CICEROSC

Philosopher and Author Andrew Bernstein will be appearing twice in Greenville, South Carolina during the first week of November, 2007.

On Thursday, November 8th, at 7:00 PM, Dr. Bernstein will lecture at Furman University on the topic: "Global Capitalism - The Solution to World Poverty and Oppression." More details can be found here.

On Saturday, November 10th, at 3:00 PM, Dr. Bernstein will address a meeting of the New South Objectivists at the theatre at Coffee Underground, located in downtown Greenville at the intersection of Main and Coffee Streets. His topic will be: "The Literary Revolution of Atlas Shrugged." More details can be found here.

Seating is limited at both events, so plan to arrive early. If possible RSVP here, but reservations are NOT required!

I'm so pleased that Andy will be lecturing in my hometown. For those of you who live within driving distance of Greenville, I highly recommend making the trip. For one, meeting Andy Bernstein is a unique experience -- he's one of the "coolest" Objectivists you'll ever meet. For two, the Greenville-area Objectivists are an amazing bunch of people. The core members of the New South Objectivists are some of the nicest folks I've ever met. I'd love to hear a report from someone who is able to attend.

--Dan Edge

In my view the two lectures were a great success.

At Furman, AB spoke to over a hundred students on Global Capitalism. After the lecture, the local leftists came out in force with a series of Questions in the QA session. One (by a Furman philosophy professor) was to the effect of: "How can you defend capitalism when the capital on which it is based is accumulated through oppression, racism, genocide, and slavery?" AB handled it deftly and pointed out that if oppression, racism, genocide, and slavery were the requirements for successful economies then it would have been such societies as the Soviet Union (and much of the rest of human history) that would have succeeded and not the US and Britain after the Enlightenment.

At Coffee Underground, AB spoke to about 40 people on the Literary Revolution of Atlas Shrugged. This was also well received, and included in attendance was not just those of us familiar with AR's work but also a high school English teacher who brought eight of her Advanced Placement students.

Here's a photo from Coffee Underground of the crowd gathering before the lecture (attached).post-118-1194872867_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Report! :ninja:

--Dan Edge

I just noticed that I never gave you a report on this! Simply put, the lecture was great, the people at NSO are great, the food was great. All of this made the trip well worth it for me.

Please show me the ninja emoticon if you want more details. I regret to inform you that you cannot see the back of my head in that photograph. :lol:

Edited by DarkWaters