Objectivism Online Forum

Whom would you Thank?

Rate this topic

Here's a Thanksgiving game: if you had to give silent thanks to ONE person, who would it be.

The rules are:

1. Name someone relatively well-known, not personal (i.e. not the boss who helped you get where you were)
  2. Go beyond Objectivists, Aristotle and the U.S. Founding fathers
  3. Don't name anyone already named
  4. The person named does not have to be your top choice, just a good choice in your opinion

Any takers?

Michael Jordan. For showing the world the meaning of dominance, and then for translating that success into a transcendental global pop cultural phenomenon, single handedly generating billions of dollars worth of business, becoming the most recognizable man in the world (even just based on the silhouette of his head), and inspiring an entire generation of ballers.

Edited by softwareNerd
removed quote

John Locke, philosopher, for inspiring confidence in the human mind, for breaking with divine revelation and fighting against "innate" knowledge, and -- consequently -- for laying down the modern philosophical foundation for rational government.

(And, if that's kinda cheating, because it's too close to the founders, I'd thank Galileo.)

Edited by softwareNerd

Ronald Reagan, for inspiring me to form my first mental image of man's strength:

I was born in Hungary and still live there. I grew up during the final decade of Communism.

My first memory involving the United States is hearing the radio news reader's anxious voice reporting on how "Washington continues with its star warfare plans." I had no idea at that time what "Washington" was, let alone a "star warfare plan," but I thought whatever it was, it must be something great and powerful--something done by men who can. I felt I could identify with these strong and able men somewhere far away much more than with the men around me who were "concerned" about "these dangerous plans"--the men who, as I saw it, couldn't because they wouldn't.

I supposed I can't thank Thales? :)

okay...

Sir Isaac Newton, for his essentialized application of the scientific method, and for establishing the principles of physics that made possible most of the inventions of the industrial revolution, and for his creation of a whole new field of mathematics (calculus) in order to make possible his physics.

And if Newton is one, Galileo is one A.

Edited by Thales

Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web. :)

Seconded. My career is based on his pioneering work, and it has made the richness of the internet that the world pretty much relies on possible.

Edited by Prometheus98876

Stanislavski, for turning a mirror on not just how, but why humans act in certain ways, thus revolutionizing the world of Theatre.

If anything, he was the Nathaniel Branden/Ayn Rand of Theatre, in that he, in a sense, identified psycho-epistemology in humans, and used that to create not only convincing acting, but meaningful acting. He showed that people have objectives/motives/agendas behind everything they do, no matter whether or not they are constantly aware of it. He further showed that those objectives neccesitated the kind of actions people were most likely to take (for example, you wouldn't blow at a tree to knock it down, nor would you chop a deck of cards with an axe).

Even furthermore, he showed that emotions weren't 'states' that people reached, but instead, were reactions which flowed from their objective-seeking (i.e. one gets frustrated and upset, because their objective of catching that wabbit is interrupted by their wabbit-shooter running out of ammo).

Edited by Tenure

Seconded.

Looks like you have just violated SoftwareNerd's rule number three!!!!

Ronald McDonald. I cant start my day without that coffee in the morning.

Then I recommend thanking Ray Kroc instead, as his dedication is what turned the company into what it is today.

Edited by DarkWaters

Looks like you have just violated SoftwareNerd's rule number three!!!!

Then I recommend thanking Ray Kroc instead, as his dedication is what turned the company into what it is today.

Opps! So I did. I really shouldnt try do these things when I am about to go to bed :dough: .l

Dennis Ritchie, for his work on the C programming langauge, a major stepping stone in the history of programming, and inspiration for C++.

Better now?