Objectivism Online Forum

Hello, new member here

Rate this topic

Hey,

I'm a 21 year old student of Oism from the United Kingdom.

I've been aware of Ayn Rand's work for about two years but have only recently began to seriously consider integrating the philosophy into my life when I realised that the more I adhered to the principles I had read about in Rand's novels the happier I became; and the more I deviated from those principles the more miserable my life became. It was only after experiencing this for myself that I could begin to truly understand Objectivism as a way of life rather than a rationalist system divorced from reality.

My interests are:

• Martial Arts - I'm about to start Jiu-Jitsu classes.
  • Reading - Mostly fiction and I prefer fantasy such as the LotR's and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth which I'm about half way through.
  • Studying - I'm retaking some academic courses to pick up where I left off a few years ago due to apathy.
  • Watching DVDs - I think comedy such as The Office, Seinfeld and the stand up of Jimmy Carr have kept me sane through my rather irrational life!
  • Objectivism - I hope to build on my knowledge and develop a good philosophical framework to build my life around.

My goals are to keep motivated as I tend to let my mood control my actions, to combat my procrastination and social anxiety problems and to learn to manage my time properly. At the moment I haven't got a Central Purpose in Life but I hope to find one through the interests I listed above.

I really look forward to learning more from this forum and perhaps contributing myself.

Hey,

I'm a 21 year old student of Oism from the United Kingdom.

I've been aware of Ayn Rand's work for about two years but have only recently began to seriously consider integrating the philosophy into my life when I realised that the more I adhered to the principles I had read about in Rand's novels the happier I became; and the more I deviated from those principles the more miserable my life became. It was only after experiencing this for myself that I could begin to truly understand Objectivism as a way of life rather than a rationalist system divorced from reality.

My interests are:

• Martial Arts - I'm about to start Jiu-Jitsu classes.
  • Reading - Mostly fiction and I prefer fantasy such as the LotR's and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth which I'm about half way through.
  • Studying - I'm retaking some academic courses to pick up where I left off a few years ago due to apathy.
  • Watching DVDs - I think comedy such as The Office, Seinfeld and the stand up of Jimmy Carr have kept me sane through my rather irrational life!
  • Objectivism - I hope to build on my knowledge and develop a good philosophical framework to build my life around.

My goals are to keep motivated as I tend to let my mood control my actions, to combat my procrastination and social anxiety problems and to learn to manage my time properly. At the moment I haven't got a Central Purpose in Life but I hope to find one through the interests I listed above.

I really look forward to learning more from this forum and perhaps contributing myself.

( Bold mine )

Welcome to the club