Objectivism Online Forum

MP online games?

Rate this topic

sammi

I used to play a game called War Rock with my work buddies back before I started college. It's not like WoW, though, it's more like counter-strike but with tracked stats and such. So it may not be up your alley. The website is www.warrock.net, it's all free unless you want to buy additional in-game money for new weapons and such.

The threat of getting addicted to WoW is HARDLY the $15/month. With any addiction, the threat is non-productiveness. $15/month is trivial for the amount of entertainment MMO games can give you - who else can say that they pay $15 for every 120 hours of entertainment (4 hours a day for 30 days). But if it's enjoyable, and you're capable of using your willpower to limit your playtime to acceptable levels, MMO games can be a fantastic entertainment investment.

In terms of MMO games without a monthly fee, there's always Guild Wars, though I didn't particularly enjoy that one much.

Otherwise, for Multiplayer games, Team Fortress 2 is quite popular right now, though it costs, I believe $30 (if you buy it without the Orange Box). Portal, however, makes the Orange Box worth it on it's own.

I don't know, some people manage to make a lot of money selling good items in videogames for real cash. It's probably not worth all the time it takes, but essentially they are getting paid to play video games. Wouldn't be a bad idea for a gaming addict who doesn't have the best job in the world.

One of my friends, for instance, made like 600 dollars in one year by playing Diablo II. He figured out little loopholes and mathematical algorithms the game uses and, with the help of some of his online friends, was able to get a level 90-something character in a few days. He spent hours at a time just going through the hardest dungeons in the game collecting rare crap and selling it on ebay for a few bucks each. Then when he was done he sold the account for a large sum. Not bad for a 15-year old kid.

Edited by LiberTodd