Objectivism Online Forum

Adding relationship fields to user profile

Rate this topic

I have a request from a member to add a field to help members find romantic partners. The member is gay, so he wanted to be able to filter by sexual orientation.

What do you think of this? What specific fields should I add? I can think of two options:

Interested in dating: Men | Women | Both | Neither/N/A

Or

Sexual orientation: Straight | Gay | (N/A/)

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

...or both options?

Someone might want to declare their sexual orientation for a number of reasons.

Speaking for myself, I think that as long as the option can be turned off (and set for "off" as a default), it's potentially a good thing. (I don't yet see a problem with this idea.)

You're on a slippery slope, David, ultimately leading to nearly fully-fledged dating choices system :) Feature creep, anyone? The alternative is that you set up an alternative to the Atlasphere, and provide links to it both generally and within the user-profile section of this forum.

Anyway, as to sexual preference I'd go with the first option you presented, but with a modification to reiterate the actual sex of the person right there, eg: "I am an X, interested in dating a Y", where X and Y are selectable, both pickable from a short list of the most common and also allowing 'other' with user-entered specifications.

However, I wouldn't go for anything more complicated than that. We're a small and familiar enough bunch that going through individual profiles of participants whose details come up in searches wont take up too much time. Going complicated is something for strangers looking for strangers.

I agree with TPS that the default should be not to participate in that section.

JJM

I have a request from a member to add a field to help members find romantic partners. The member is gay, so he wanted to be able to filter by sexual orientation.

What do you think of this? What specific fields should I add? I can think of two options:

Interested in dating: Men | Women | Both | Neither/N/A

Or

Sexual orientation: Straight | Gay | (N/A/)

I think it would be awesome to offer this feature! This will help anyone regardless of their sexual orientation, who would like to narrow down their romantic or friendship search. Hopefully, by doing this more people will want to participate on Objectivism Online.

Thank you!!

If you want to do this, I think it would be more useful to offer the information as "interested in dating...". I'm straight, and not interested in dating women (my wife would kill me). Like John and TPS, I think the default should be no statement, and I would also suggest that the unformation be only accessible to members who are currently logged in, not to folks cruising by.

If you want to do this, I think it would be more useful to offer the information as "interested in dating...". I'm straight, and not interested in dating women (my wife would kill me). Like John and TPS, I think the default should be no statement, and I would also suggest that the unformation be only accessible to members who are currently logged in, not to folks cruising by.

I don't think its a problem if you don't want to fill out those fields or participate per se (straight or Gay isn't really the issue). Perhaps you can set your parameter to married. I know that some married couples would like to find other married couples just as friends. This can also give families the chance to find each other more easily. My brother has been looking to find couples that have kids, so that his kids can have Objectivists friends.

As for me, it would be too impractical to not be able to search for members information when they are offline. The Gay Objectivists population is way too small and the chance of me finding anyone (that just happens to also be online) would really impact the relevance of making this change. I'm sure it's not easy for straight people to find interesting people to date as well, limiting their chances by only making dating information accessible when someone is online would devastate their chances also. The great benefit of the internet and the potential of Objectivism Online can be reached, by reaching out to people that are primarily interested in Objectivism and secondarily wish to find friends or romance along the way.

Thank you,

As for me, it would be too impractical to not be able to search for members information when they are offline.
No problem there, the suggestion is simply that you need to logged on to get the information. The idea is to make the information available to members, not the world at large.

I like the idea a lot. I think it would great to assist in finding other partners on here, because this place is free. Also, I agree with the above comment: ""I am an X, interested in dating a Y", where X and Y are selectable, both pickable from a short list of the most common and also allowing 'other' with user-entered specifications."

I am all for the reduction of asymmetric information. If this site can create a more efficient way to meet other like minded individuals then that should be embraced in every way, shape and form.

By the way, ladies, I am strait/heterosexual, 22, living in Dallas, feel free to email me: [email protected] :)

I like the idea, but I don't like the profile setting as it currently exists. I'm interested in meeting other people interested in Objectivism in the Dallas / Fort Worth area (male or female), but I'm only interested in dating women. There is no way to make the selection now and convey that information, so I added it to my personal profile :D

This is what I've come up with so far:

What do you think?

Well, it's better. But if I am interested in meeting both men and women, and I say I am single, does that imply that I am bisexual? I'm not, I'm heterosexual, looking for friends and a lady lover, not a male lover ;)

Looks like Facebook's relationship application.

I'm only for it if I get to have IN A SEXY, SEXUAL-RELATED RELATIONSHIP WITH K-MAC( and sometimes Kori) THAT INVOLVES SEX

That way, the entire Intertnet will know who wears the pants on this website.

David,

I would still prefer to have a more clear declaration of sexual orientation. I think Tom is right. It's better than nothing, but still too vague. I'd rather the profile questioner say something like:

I identify myself as:

1. Straight

2. Gay / Lesbian

3. Bisexual

4. Unsure or Other

Interested in meeting / dating:

1. Men

2. Women

3. Both

David,

I would still prefer to have a more clear declaration of sexual orientation. I think Tom is right. It's better than nothing, but still too vague. I'd rather the profile questioner say something like:

I identify myself as:

1. Straight

2. Gay / Lesbian

3. Bisexual

4. Unsure or Other

Interested in meeting / dating:

1. Men

2. Women

3. Both

Wouldn't the first list make the second a little redundant?

I am a lesbian interested in meeting men...?

This is what I've come up with so far:

What do you think?

post-1-1199057746_thumb.gif

I quite like that, even if just for the purpose of making my profile more detailed.

That's not bad, so long as it is expressly captioned as being for romantic meeting purposes as per the original feature request rather than simple get-togethers.

JJM

I'd like to second that.

Are you familiar with the BBC series Coupling, and Gina Bellman's character "Jane"?

That's a very funny show, even though the men in it are completely neurotic. Of course, Jane is bisexual because she will go out with and have sex with both gay men and straight men, if given the opportunity. Actually, they are all screwed up in one way or another, but I like the running gag that goes for a whole show. Takes good writing, though I wouldn't use it as a guide to dating :thumbsup:

The issue of stating one's orientation is different than looking to date or meet. I want to be able to say I am Gay, but If or when I'm no longer single that is not going to change my orientation. I would in that case probably like to change my profile dating status to "in a relationship." I would still like to be able to find other Gay friends though, that are Objectivists.

Edited by Lorenzo de' Medici

4. Unsure or Other

"I A-sexually reproduce by laying 600 already fertilized eggs, however, I still enjoy long walks on the beach, going out to see movies, salsa dancing, and spending weeks at a time in the forest harvesting special mushrooms to digest so I can strech my asshole 7 times the normal size in order to start the month long process of birthing my young.

Oh yes, I like ice-skating as well, and sometimes cotton candy but it's kinda sticky and annoying."