Objectivism Online Forum

Spiderman 2

Rate this topic

The problem I have with this movie (other than the corrupt philosophy) is two fold:

First, can Spiderman be killed? Does he have any weakness at all, other than his weak mind? Judging from the stuff that happens to him in this movie, he's practically indestructible. At least with Superman, he has kryptonite.

My other problem is that Spiderman doesn't seem to have any sense of momentum to his movements. Does it bother anyone here when he rescues ordinary people by slamming into them at the bottom of his swing after he's reached maximum speed? He must be moving in excess of 50 mph! I understand that his superpower prevents him from being killed, but ordinary folks should be dead after such a collision.

First, can Spiderman be killed? 

I understand that his superpower prevents him from being killed, but ordinary folks should be dead after such a collision.

I fully agree with everyone's reservations about the philosophical statements in this film. I was pretty bitter during Aunt May's speech, and whenever Octavius spoke of serving mankind through intelligence.

I will also agree with you here that he did take some pretty hefty abuse and just walked away. Anyone who has read the comics however, knows that he can take a beating. I don't think they went too far afield with it, but perhaps a tiny bit.

In total though, his ability to take physical blows and scoop up people in distress (among other powers) are what make it a comic book. One should never read a comic or see a comic-based movie with the thought that it will all be perfectly plausible.

My hefty $0.02 to brighten up the day. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someone can tell me the last three minutes of the movie. I was watching it w/a child who desperately needed to use the restroom right at the end. :lol: We went out just when Spiderman's best friend is alone in his house and came back right at the end when he leaves to follow the sirens.

Maybe someone can tell me the last three minutes of the movie. I was watching it w/a child who desperately needed to use the restroom right at the end.  :yarr: We went out just when Spiderman's best friend is alone in his house and came back right at the end when he leaves to follow the sirens.

lol

Spoiler

Harry Osborne is hunted by the thoughts of his father. He then finds the secret room that has all the Green Goblin equipment. This scene is left ambiguous. You don't know if he has just come to the realization that his father is the Goblin and plans to apologize to Peter or he plans to become the Green Goblin himself.

I haven't seen Spiderman 2 yet, but it seems promising from what I've seen thus far. Then again, so did the third Matrix movie, which means I'm not waiting for anything too fancy. As for the first Spiderman, I didn't like it.

If that's the case, I'd suggest skipping the sequel. You won't miss anything, and there are better movies playing.

The worst part of this one is how much Parker whines. Now I can tolerate a hero who is altruistic but still noble-souled; I can't stand a "hero" who does nothing but whine and complain. What's heroic about that? How can someone root for someone like that?

Yeah, the philosophy is bad, what else is new. But the attempt to turn a whiny little kid into someone worthy of the label "hero" is too much for me.

Some alternative choices:

THE NOTEBOOK -- a real romance. The end really got to me.

KING ARTHUR -- a bit melodramatic, maybe, but some inspired lines, and really heroic characters. The heroism is played straight and taken seriously, rather than tongue-in-cheek or apologetically.

DODGEBALL (or ANCHORMAN) -- very silly comedies that had me laughing in the aisles

SHREK 2 -- if you saw the first one, see this one

THE TERMINAL -- very well made, but uninspired and unambitious

HARRY POTTER -- my favorite of the books, quite good, and a bit darker than the first two Potter films

I loved the Shrek movies, too.  But the endings pissed me off.  Ogres are ugly, period.  Why choose to be ugly?  It seemed like the message was "it's better to be ugly than to be beautiful."

I still give it a big thumbs-up.  But what the hell is THAT all about?

Ever since the 90s, most movies aimed at teenagers and under have romances where beautiful women as humongus bitches while all the normal, unseen. girls next door types beat the beautiful ones for the heroic male. I bet Strek was just going with the modern interpretation of what relationships should be and who should be with who.

I loved the Shrek movies, too.  But the endings pissed me off.  Ogres are ugly, period.  Why choose to be ugly?  It seemed like the message was "it's better to be ugly than to be beautiful."

I still give it a big thumbs-up.  But what the hell is THAT all about?

If anything I thought it said "it's better to be yourself." Their beauty was in their character and sense of life, not superficial trappings. If they would have mocked beauty, per se, then that would have been different. The handsome prince was shown to have a completely phony character, not condemned for being handsome.

Well, that's why the first one didn't annoy me. But in the second one, the girl decides to stay ogreish too. Why? It's not like she was even doing Shrek a favor. Obviously, he was plenty attracted to her when she was a human.

Anyway, I don't want to make a big production of this point. It's not a big deal; it was more silly than offensive. The Shrek movies still rule.

Well, that's why the first one didn't annoy me.  But in the second one, the girl decides to stay ogreish too.  Why

Because she was more in tune with the spirit exemplified by the ogres, and that is the world in which she chose to live.

Anyway, I don't want to make a big production of this point.  It's not a big deal; it was more silly than offensive.  The Shrek movies still rule.

I wonder where they will take Shrek 3? It is rare that the sequel is better than the original, but I did enjoy the second even more than the first. I hope that trend continues.