Objectivism Online Forum

Introduction

Rate this topic

whig

I joined this forum recently, and thought I'd introduce myself before the new year.

I'm from Ireland, a member of the liberal party here, the Progressive Democrats. Don't be deceived by the name if you're American (tho I would support the Democrats over the Republicans in the US), we're considered the most free-market-based economically. As of this year, since our seats were reduced from eight to two, our influence in government had greatly decreased.

Personally, I came across Ayn Rand through my interest in liberal philosophy, she listed as one of the philosophers on Liberal International. I read a bit about her on the internet, what work of hers I could find there and from other Objectivists. Then at the party conference in February, I met someone and we talked for a long time about a lot things, including philosophy, in terms of a personal outlook on life, and she recommended that I read Ayn Rand, starting with The Fountainhead. I loved it, having described myself as an individualist before, as I did Atlas Shrugged when I read it not too long after. I've also since read both Anthem and We the Living, and they're both quite good too. I don't think the latter particularly gets the credit due to it.

Having said that, and while her philosophy certainly appealed to me, and I'd be conscious of it when making decisions about my life, I wouldn't describe myself as an Objectivist. I still see it as one example of liberal Enlightenment philosophy, taking bits from different philosophers that make sense to me. I particularly like the Objectivist stance on religion and the reality of the universe, but do not agree entirely with the view of how humans fit with the rest of life on the world. I see some aspects of society as objective and organic facts, not necessarily imposed, and would favor a safety net in social policy. I've read a few essays in Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, and would hope to get through all of her work eventually, but no sooner hers than other philosophers and other writings on humanity and politics. I am more favourable than not to most of Objectivism, so quite interested but not a devoted fan.

I was recently responsible for bringing Yaron Brook to Trinity College, Dublin. I organize the debates for the debating society in college, and had one on free trade, which he spoke at. He also wanted to speak to philosophy students about Objectivism the day before. These are still listed on his website.

I joined this forum recently, and thought I'd introduce myself before the new year.

G'day!

Personally, I came across Ayn Rand through my interest in liberal philosophy, she listed as one of the philosophers on Liberal International. I read a bit about her on the internet, what work of hers I could find there and from other Objectivists. Then at the party conference in February, I met someone and we talked for a long time about a lot things, including philosophy, in terms of a personal outlook on life, and she recommended that I read Ayn Rand, starting with The Fountainhead. I loved it, having described myself as an individualist before, as I did Atlas Shrugged when I read it not too long after.

I love how this leads to that leads to that ;)

JJM