Objectivism Online Forum

People: Leo Strauss

Rate this topic

My knowledge is also limited to this article (I had never heard of him before), but if it is accurate, then he doesn't sound that great. They sound like Platonic nihilists with no justification for their views other than, "The great philosophers of the past believed this." (Which is, obviously, simply an appeal to authority.)

However, reading some of the other material on that guy's site, I wouldn't be too sure about the accuracy of the article on Strauss. Then again, if he's even close (which he probably is), then I'm definitely unimpressed with the Straussians.

There is a bit of a Straussian following at my college, St. John's, and as far as I can tell its main features are Platonism and a worship for tradition. It beats some other modern movements, but it has tons of its own problems.

Bear in mind, in relation to that article, that many people hate Strauss and what you hear about him might not be fair. My knowledge of him is limited to my having read Bloom's Closing of the American Mind and having heard a lecture at my college by a follower of Strauss, so I can't say much more.