Objectivism Online Forum

Richard MacDonald

Rate this topic

~Sophia~

• 2 months later...

For all those who are interested, and who may be venturing to Las Vegas anytime soon, in the lobby of the Cirque du Soleil "O" Theater at the Bellagio, there is a breath-taking exhibit of Mr. MacDonald's sculptural work. All of the pieces are for sale, and come in various size castings of various material (bronze, clay, etc.). This exhibit showcases his "cirque" pieces where he had performers from cirque du soleil model for him (and how they held these seemingly impossible poses for so long is a wonder to me!). They also run a streaming video of him scultping the pieces, which is hypnotic to watch. It is well worth a visit; one of few sights to see in Vegas of any real value (not counting all the Cirque du Soleil shows, of course). The detail is AMAZING. I caught myself staring at the hands of one particular piece for well over ten minutes. They are all truly the most breath-taking sculptures I have ever had the pleasure of looking at in person. The eyes are haunting, the poses beautiful in their "impossibilty" and the detail he gives to the muscles of each figure makes them seem as though they will just come to life right before your eyes. A great expression of human beauty and what the body is capable of. A must see for all Vegas-goers (and go see "O" while your at it; the engineering of the stage alone will astound you, as will the performance). I have lots of pictures of the pieces (the gallery patrons are very friendly and let me do so), but I am worried I would be violating a copyright to post them; most of the pieces are featured in the "Cirque" link of the sculpture section of his website, however, ahich Sophia offered a link to above. Looking at photographs of these pieces, however, pales in comparison to looking at them in person. :P

Edited by 4reason

I am worried I would be violating a copyright to post them

I don't think you would. It would have fallen under the fair use. Few things are to be taken into consideration to determine if it is in fact fair use:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; (allowed: criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research)
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work
  3. amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Edited by ~Sophia~

• 1 year later...

I visited a gallery in Beverly Hills that was showing his work a few years ago. I want to own one of his pieces imagining how it will feel to run my hands over it. The work has such a propellant force, makes me want to go running up a hill. I would love to attend one of the workshops he offers.