Objectivism Online Forum

Atlas Shrugged In The Business World

Rate this topic

meganfiala

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

It's encouraging to read that there are several professors using Atlas Shrugged in their courses. I was not aware of several of them who were mentioned in this article.

Very interesting article.  Thanks for posting it.

It's encouraging to read that there are several professors using Atlas Shrugged in their courses.  I was not aware of several of them who were mentioned in this article.

Some of the material seemed interesting, so I looked into Edward Younkins a bit, and I was disappointed. He seems to value Sciabarra's works and has bought into some of Sciabarra's nonsensical premises. I am not sure of the depth in which Younkins grasps Objectivism -- there is a mention of how Ayn Rand deductively(!) developed Objectivism -- and I get more of an impression of a Libertarian rather than an intellectual scholar. Admittedly I did not spend much time delving into this, but some of what I saw is not promising.

Some of the material seemed interesting, so I looked into Edward Younkins a bit, and I was disappointed. He seems to value Sciabarra's works and has bought into some of Sciabarra's nonsensical premises. I am not sure of the depth in which Younkins grasps Objectivism -- there is a mention of how Ayn Rand deductively(!) developed Objectivism -- and I get more of an impression of a Libertarian rather than an intellectual scholar. Admittedly I did not spend much time delving into this, but some of what I saw is not promising.

Hmm...that's too bad, if true. Just from reading the article, I thought it sounded as though he might be teaching it decently. But even if he is distorting it to some degree, at least he's getting students to read it, discuss it, take it seriously. The best of them will pursue further study of Objectivism on their own and correct any errors in their own minds that their teacher may have propagated.

Hmm...that's too bad, if true. Just from reading the article, I thought it sounded as though he might be teaching it decently. But even if he is distorting it to some degree, at least he's getting students to read it, discuss it, take it seriously. The best of them will pursue further study of Objectivism on their own and correct any errors in their own minds that their teacher may have propagated.

And, just to be entirely clear, he could be doing a very decent job in the context of what he is teaching. It was certainly nice to see Atlas Shrugged being used in a business course! But, nevertheless, when someone gives Sciabarra for further reference, and speaks of his work in glowing terms, one wonders what the teacher teaches when he goes beyond the more simple facts of business and commerce.