Objectivism Online Forum

What's your nick?

Rate this topic

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my username on this board will be AshRyan. It's a combination of my nickname, Ash, with the name of my deceased older brother Ryan. Before he died, Ryan taught me the importance of clear thinking, logic, rationality, etc.; in effect, he helped me become the person I am today. You could think of him as an intellectual "father" to me. I think it's therefore fitting that I use his name as a surname. My real father and I are ideologically opposite in too many respects, so I don't really want to go through life with the name I received from him. I intend to have my name legally changed to Ash Ryan as soon as it's convenient, probably in a year and a half or so once I've received my Bachelor's degree.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Claudia

Hi, I thought the meeting tonight was fun and very interesting B) . The next book on my list to read is The Romantic Manifesto. BTW, my AIM nick is ghaniz.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It actually looks like I also neglected to mention my AIM username (AshRyan20) before, even though I did post in this thread when I first joined the board over half a year ago. But that's probably because I hardly ever use it. Most of my web activities are done at work, because I have a lot of free time given the nature of my job and web surfing is allowed--but we're not supposed to put instant-messaging programs on the computer here.

But anyway, welcome to the board, dixi! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
but we're not supposed to put instant-messaging programs on the computer here.

Ash, are you aware that there are web-based IM clients for AIM and ICQ that do not involve installing any software? I've used them quite a bit when I was unable to install software on the machine I was using.

Ash, are you aware that there are web-based IM clients for AIM and ICQ that do not involve installing any software?  I've used them quite a bit when I was unable to install software on the machine I was using.

Well, it's not so much that I can't install software on the computer here, as that there are certain computer activities that are off-limits. While I have a lot of free time at my job and I am allowed to surf the web, the bosses think that real-time interactive activities would be too distracting and might diminish security officers' ability to pay attention to cameras, respond quickly to incidents, etc. I could install IM programs on the computer and use them (and some of my co-workers have done so in the past), but I think that while I'm on company time, using company property, I'd better respect company rules.

• 1 month later...

Hello, my name is Nick Nemeth. I am a physics major at Purdue University. I am active in my local ARI sponsored Objectivist Club. I am interested in aeconomics, politics, logic, and physics.

If you would like to interrupt my excruciatingly boring life you can get ahold of me through AIM: nne158

:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...