Objectivism Online Forum

What to do about rationalists posing as O'ists?

Rate this topic

Question.

What do you do about those non-conformist Keatings who hide themselves behind Rand's philosophy? Some time ago I introduced Rand to an acquaintance of mine. He was extremely curious about what I believed in and why. I gave him a small speech and he asked me wherever could I think up such ideals. Supposedly they where so new and innovative he just had to know. Happily, I thought I might of just found a new friend interested in Objectivism, I thought to soon? I gave him Objectivist literature that I thought might of enlightened him about the basics. He read the Fountainhead, then read separate articles, and has recently began on Atlas Shrugged.

This is all fine, but here’s the problem, the more and more I talk to him personally, the more I just see (symbolically) Keating mixed in with say Gus Webb. He doesn’t think for himself very much if any time. I know this because of how he treats me and other people. It’s as if he’s trying to prove something to me, get on my good side like Keating while being a good little non-conformist like Webb. Am I simply being an a**hole or is there something not right here?

This is all fine, but here’s the problem, the more and more I talk to him personally, the more I just see (symbolically) Keating mixed in with say Gus Webb. He doesn’t think for himself very much if any time. I know this because of how he treats me and other people. It’s as if he’s trying to prove something to me, get on my good side like Keating while being a good little non-conformist like Webb. Am I simply being an a**hole or is there something not right here?

Time will tell.

You have done a lot by showing him the way to Ayn Rand. If he is interested and wants to know more, you can direct him to the appropriate literature and/or answer his questions yourself if you are able.

I have seen exposure to Objectivism make a big positive change in some people. Whether it does with this fellow is totally up to him.

I would have to say just from the little I know of the situation it may be worth sticking it out because people even willing to read AR are so few and far between. If this person is intelligent and even somewhat intellectually honest there is a good chance that some of the individualism will stick (and w/Keating there was a point where he realized what he was and he tried to come back from the edge - perhaps it isn't too late for your friend...) I have found so few people who would even read all of the Fountainhead or Atlas that I have to admire this person for their tenacity in trying to be such a brilliant second-hander! :confused:

I let my roommate read the Fountainhead about 3 months ago. He's still reading chapter 1.

A few days ago, my cousin asked me for some light reading in english. I didn't have the fountainhead (my roommate has it - if he hasn't left it on the same place where it always was since I gave it to him), and Atlas Shrugged is a bit too huge to be called light, so I gave him Anthem. I also gave him Sun Tzu's "Art of War"...

As for other friends I have... I don't know whether they read anything at all. They don't even want to see a book as thick as the Fountainhead, because they say that they're not crazy to read (!); they just finished high school and they're "lucky" that they don't have to read for school anymore. Whoever saw a person reading a book for fun?!

Oh, there is one other who reads books. He's not good at english though, so I let him read Night of January 16th. He liked the jury gimmick. That's all.

So, what I want to say is - at least your friend READS, which means he can find out new things, even if it's too late. If he's interested in objectivism, you can explain a few things to him. My roommate finds it funny that I take The Fountainhead seriously. My cousin... well, he might become interested. He's a kind of a philosopher I was a few years back, except I didn't believe in god. As for my third friend who reads, he's failed first year at college and he's going to fail the same year again.

As for myself; I can understand objectivism, but I can't explain it to someone in such words as to wake any sort of interest for it. The best thing I can do is tell them to read The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged - and that they won't do. Firstly because both books are in english, secondly because they're so huge.

I think everyone's advice on this thread is useful. What I was worried about was literally calling him on it, giving him a lecture as if I was suddenly high and mighty. The Fountainhead I've realized is becoming more popular with teenagers though. I think it's in part because of High School assignments to read Anthem and there's the ARI's contest. I've also come across The Fountainhead in other literature like like Brett Ellis's "The Rules of Attraction", and "Perks of being a Wallflower." Both had positive reviews in their own way. I say their own way because a depressed, nihilistic, amoral character in "The Rules of Attraction" expressed his dislike with Roark.

Anyways I honestly believe Ayn Rand is becoming more popular these days. I wonder why. Has any one else seen this or is it because I'm quite younger than most of you and I'm only focusing on MY generation?

My best guess is that people always seek answers. While some claim they've found them in religion (if they ever knew the questions), intelligent teenagers find them in objectivism. But the most appealing thing of all is that objectivism gives one the tools of finding one's own answers; not by some prayer and expectance of a sudden illumination, but by the usage of one's mind and its rational faculty. Rational people find this answer by far more satisfying than that offered to them by some religion or cult or whatever.