Objectivism Online Forum

Hello All.

Rate this topic

My name is Andrew Sternberg, obviously. I am 20 years old, I go to Drexel University in Philadelphia, and I am majoring in Electrical Engineering.

I first picked up The Fountainhead a year and a half ago, in the middle of my senior year of highschool. I orginally planned to read it over the summer, but the ARI sponsored essay contest compelled me to start ealier. When I finished The Fountainhead, I immediately picked up Atlas and read that. I have now read OPAR, ITOE, VOS, PWNI, FNI, Capitalism: Unknown Ideal, Romantic Manefesto, Anthem, We the Living, The Fountainhead (again), Atlas Shrugged (currently reading again).

I am quite happy to have found objectivism when I did. It is exactly what I needed, an explicit statement of my sense of life.

Anyway, this forum is great, David is great for making it, everyone here is great for making it great, etc.

Interesting, I'm currently considering either minoring or double majoring in electrical (currently a mechanical engineering major) because I found all the circuits material we covered in Physics II really interesting. Maybe I found it interesting because I can apply this material right now to my speaker building hobby.

You've read more material in the past year and a half than I have since I was introduced to Ayn Rand 5 years ago (at age 15). That's admirable.

And yes, kudos definitely go to David Veksler for creating this site :yarr:

Hello, I might as well introduce myself in this post since Andrew is my roommate at Drexel. He's the one who introduced me to Objectivism and Dance Dance Revolution (although i'm sure thats purely a coincidence). I'm just a newbie, having only read AS, Fountainhead, and a few others. I quite enjoy this forum though. I also enjoy this pirate happy face which others should use more often ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew, I don't supposed you participated in the Drexel/UPenn O'ist Club this past year? I went to a single meeting (I went to Swarthmore) in Feb., but it seemed like nothing ever happened after that. I was kinda bummed. I also saw Yaron Brook speak about the war at UPenn, in March or thereabouts. It's too bad there didn't seem to be more events this year.

Carla,

I did participate in the Drexel/UPeen O'ist Club. I am replacing Leonardo Urbano as President. He was just too swamped with work to continue. The lack of events is due to two factors, the first being that the UPenn side of the club disolved (not enough support), and the Drexel side is in a transition (as explained above). We currently don't have a room provided to us by Drexel, so we were holding very small meetings in my dorm room. It was only 3 to 4 people on average, including my roomate, TetrisGod.

I'm currently at home entering my Co-op cycle for Fall/Winter and won't be back on campus until Spring. When I do return, I plan to revamp the club as much as I can. Hopefully all of that will work out and we can have more meetings in an actual room supplied by Drexel for the club.

Carla,

I did participate in the Drexel/UPeen O'ist Club.  I am replacing Leonardo Urbano as President.  He was just too swamped with work to continue.  The lack of events is due to two factors, the first being that the UPenn side of the club disolved (not enough support), and the Drexel side is in a transition (as explained above).  We currently don't have a room provided to us by Drexel, so we were holding very small meetings in my dorm room.  It was only 3 to 4 people on average, including my roomate, TetrisGod.

I'm currently at home entering my Co-op cycle for Fall/Winter and won't be back on campus until Spring.  When I do return, I plan to revamp the club as much as I can.  Hopefully all of that will work out and we can have more meetings in an actual room supplied by Drexel for the club.

Maybe I met you, then. I'm pretty sure I met Leonardo, though I can't exactly picture him now. I've graduated, so I won't be attending meetings, obviously, but I'd like to hear about any events you might be holding at Drexel.

Good luck revamping the club. While there was little to no interest in Objectivism while I was there, you might think about advertising club meetings/events at Swarthmore (and at Bryn Mawr and Haverford, for that matter). It's pretty easy to get to Drexel from the 'burbs. If you have funding, take out an ad in The Phoenix (http://phoenix.swarthmore.edu/); if you don't, put one in the Weekly News (http://weeklynews.swarthmore.edu/), which is free.

What's a Co-op cycle?