Objectivism Online Forum

Teen Discovers Bacteria Decompose Plastic

Rate this topic

IchorFigure

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/05...decomposes.html

You've heard it before I'm sure, about how synthetic products take several epochs to bio degrade etc. Well some 16 year old went out and tried that idea out using bacteria. Turns out it decomposed in 3 months...

Plastic takes thousands of years to decompose -- but 16-year-old science fair contestant Daniel Burd made it happen in just three months.

*cough

Oh okay. Well you know, 1000 years, three months, whatever nobody's perfect right.

P.S.

A comment from a different forum I read this on.

This might be a bad thing. They figure in the distant future people might start mining our dumps for plastic to burn for energy.

Seriously? Wouldn't that be just so unfortunate that in our inevitably dystopian future we wouldn't have plastic to mine up for energy. Yes THAT would be a real shame. :confused: Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You do appreciate why the average scientist isn't going to do this experiment.

I mean it isn't exactly sexy science, and it probably isn't going to be good material for a dissertation.

I am curious what the end products of the decomposition are.

I mean if the bacteria are producing large amounts of cyanide, one might be concerned.

Edited by punk

Oh, crap, more CO2 in the atmosphere for the warmers to wet their pants and/or panties over.

lol.

The kid is obviously in the employ of big oil and/or is a government stooge.