Objectivism Online Forum

Oliver Stone doing The Fountainhead?

Rate this topic

This isn't new news. Oliver Stone has wanted to do a Fountainhead film for years. Thankfully, it never seemed to come together. At this point the powers that be are probably waiting to see how well an "Atlas Shrugged" movie does at the box office before committing any further.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to start a topic on "Wall Street" because I really loved it, I'm still fascinated by that movie. The problem from the beggining is that it doesn't properly distinguish between rational selfishness and cynical selfishness. The opening lines are of the "rat race" employers diatribing against FDR and the loss of the gold standard, also worshipping IBM and Hilton, saying "good things sometimes take time". The last lines of its open end are "why don't you do something productive for a change and build something?" in Charlie Sheen's head.

And yet Gordon Gekko's speech is fantastic and yet from the beggining it shows the spoiled fruit: " greed - for lack of a better word - is good "

Ayn Rand was bold enough to state that better word overtly and decades before.

Still, great, conflictive, movie.

I don't like Oliver Stone in general btw and I'm not pleased with Atlas becoming a movie.

• 3 weeks later...