Objectivism Online Forum

The main website

Rate this topic

I look at it occasionally, but not too often since David doesn't update it as much as rationalmind.net. However, I do plan to contribute reviews and such eventually when I have more free time. I think that the main site can be a great supplement to these forums, if people would take advantage of it. I'm sure it will start to pick up more, especially as these forums do.

I recently submitted a bunch of op-eds, mostly from my own blog. You can now find them by clicking on the Essays and Op-Eds link under Propaganda on the main site. I also submitted a review, also from my blog, of the Star Trek Universe.

Yes I think having a central place to find articles and information is a good thing. I would like to contribute but I'm not very experienced at writing (except for proposals in computer programming). Maybe I could help with the site in some other way though.

Glad to see some interest in contributing to the site. If you have some new features in mind, or want to volunteer to add them, just ask me, and I'll give you all the relevant info.

I would like to put some regular content on the main site, but I can't think of what it should be -- I already use my blog to speak my mind, and I'd like to limit the headlines on the main site to topics related to promoting Objectivism.

Is there a way to integrate the users of the forum and the users of the site? Thats one thing I can think of that would be nice. Also is there any features that allow members to have their own blogs? I saw this in tikiwiki and thought it was awesome.

Is there a way to integrate the users of the forum and the users of the site?  Thats one thing I can think of that would be nice.  Also is there any features that allow members to have their own blogs?  I saw this in tikiwiki and thought it was awesome.

I think merging the two user tables would be very difficult, and personally, I'm not willing to put in work that would be required. It may be easier to put in an post-script that merely copies the profile from one to the other when someone registers. This comes with it own issues, of course.

Setting up postnuke-based blog installs is easier -- though I offer a blog hosting service for $15 per year myself. It's not that I mind the competition, but anyone who is serious about blogging would probably be better of with a real, independent blog site rather than a page within postnuke.

But, if you want to try to set up either of the above, message me with the permissions and info you need, and have at it.

Wow! collectrix.com looks like a great idea. I've been looking into database services myself. I've set up a posgresql database server on my linux computer and now I'm trying to figure out how to set up users and such. I think a hosting service is a great idea.

Anyway I would like to help with the site but I'm not sure that many people would want a blog on it because of what you said. It doesn't have to be for a personal blog though. It could be just to make announcements like when meetings will be and what a person has been doing professionally. I could set it up and test it though. I could even do it on my own web space just to make sure I know how to do it before setting it up here.

I would recomend MySQL over PostreSQL for ease of use and installation. MySQL is only marginally less powerfull that Postgre but much easier to use.

Let me know in more detail what software you have in mind for your announcements page...

I don't know that much about MySql but there is one thing I know it doesn't have that is very important to multi-user databases.

MVCC, or Multi-Version Concurrency Control, is the technology that PostgreSQL uses to avoid unnecessary locking. If you have ever used another SQL capable DBMS, such as MySQL or Access, you have probably noticed that there are times when a reader has to wait for access to information in the database. The waiting is caused by people who are writing to the database. In short, the reader is blocked by writers who are updating records.

By using MVCC, PostgreSQL avoids this problem entirely. MVCC is considered better than row-level locking because a reader is never blocked by a writer. Instead, PostgreSQL keeps track of all transactions performed by the database users. PostgreSQL is then able to manage the records without causing people to wait for records to become available.

I've experienced this on very large message boards and I'm pretty sure it's because of the database.

Another thing that I don't think MySql supports is transactions (although it might). Transactions are important in making sure sequential keys are unique which is why I really like postgresql sequences (its an object that automatically uses transactions to generate unique ordered numbers). They also make sure multiple insert statements are executed before committing them to the database.

I'm using postgresql because I've used it in school, I use it for my website, and redhat has a lot of documentation for it.

I haven't installed many blogging programs so I'm going to look into it more. Do you know of any that already work with the postnuke database?

I was about to sign the praises for MySQL, when the MySQL database behind this forum became corrupted and deleted a thread or two when I attemped to repair it.

Nevertheless, I have stress-tested MySQL on my own pc with good results. It's performance is very impressive compared to much more expensive producs.

It does support transactions and outperforms Postre on most small to medium queries and some large-queries. See some outdated benchmarks here. The newest versions (4.0 and 4.1) do even better