Objectivism Online Forum

Romantic Movie List

Rate this topic

How is The Notebook a depressing tragedy?

A couple falls in love, lives a happy and fulfilling life and dies together in old age. Are you suggesting that two old people dying is a tragedy and completely overshadows the wonderful love and life they had together?

How is The Notebook a depressing tragedy?

A couple falls in love, lives a happy and fulfilling life and dies together in old age. Are you suggesting that two old people dying is a tragedy and completely overshadows the wonderful love and life they had together?

The movie did not highlight their "happy and fulfilling life". The movie focuses on their struggle to be together. The focal point is the struggle.

The achievement of a happy and fulfilling life is quickly jumped over and we fast forward to modern day when she can't remember anymore. The rest of the movie focuses on his struggle to try to get her to remember that they had a "happy and fulfilling life". My point is that the primary subject matter of the story is struggle (if not tragedy) from beginning to end. Their struggle to be together and his struggle with her Alzheimer’s IS the story and that is not romantic.

That's not what I took from it at all. Sure there were scenes that were incredibly sad, but I actually smiled through my tears at the end.

What better way to go than in old age and in the arms of your loved one?

Edited by K-Mac

The notebook in not a romantic movie, it is a depressing tragedy.

Wow.

For me it was one of the most uplifting stories I have ever read. I was laughing and crying, sometimes at the same time, as Sparks writes with an amazing sensitivity. I was reminded that there are ways to live - fulfilling, loving ways which everyone can strive for and attain. That if you let yourself love and be loved - you will find that despite life obsticles - life is good.

"I am no one special, just a common man with common thoughts. I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect, I've succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and for me, that has always been enough."

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you've given me. That's what I'd hoped to give you forever."

What better way to go than in old age and in the arms of your loved one?

Second that.