Objectivism Online Forum

Dyslexia

Rate this topic

scottkursk

I was wondering: does anyone here work with dyslexia? Withouth going into the clinical definition of dyslexia, I'll mention my experience which is pretty common from what I've found from other Dyslexics.

I was always having to work a good bit harder than other kids to read but never really always thought I was as not a good reader as some of the other kids. Thing is, once I read something, I remember it. I can literally recite things as if from rote after reading them. Problem is when I read something I frequently have to re-read something multiple times to comprehend it. Now, I'm not talking about reading high level but something simple like a newspaper. I've learned to "fill in the blanks" when reading if I'm going for speed.

Basically my dyslexia is like reading a paragraph where someone slips in Greek or some languages words I don't know. The same is true when I write. I have problems with spelling even though I'm relatively well educated. I thank Gates daily for built in spell check on Word and Outlook. The same is true with numbers.

As either irony or spite, I work with very long strings of numbers and words for a living (I manage a stock brokerage). I know people like Charles Schwab and Einstein learned to work around their issues but has anyone else found they have the same issues? Being from Texas and dyslexic, I will occasionally find myself sounding like President Bush in the unflattering sense of the word. Anyone who has heard me do a presentation for some very big audiences will say I'm very well spoken and have a very neutral accent. But that is because I have to be so deliberate about my diction, words. structure, etc.

So I use my "disability" as an advatage since I have to watch my speech and the deliberate natur with which I read. Mabye it's the industry that I work but I would probably admit that I was an atheist before I would admit being a dyslexic. I don't feel dyslexia is a weakness per se, but just something that I have to deal with. Again, does anyone have the same experience?

I do not have Dyslexia but you could gain some inspiration from the author Terry GoodKind who is writing the Sword of Truth fantasy series. He is dyslexic and he is a phenonemal writer. He is even very influenced by Ayn Rand! Just thought you could benefit from his writings and gain some inspiration from his accomplishments.

Regards,

--Brian