Objectivism Online Forum

Burn Notice

Rate this topic

I've recently started watching this show on DVD and it is quite enjoyable. Yes, the hero has something of an altruist streak in him. However, the over-arching theme to the show is that he is trying to find out who "burned" him and in doing so frequently has to take undesirable jobs to make money.

Basic plotline: Michael Weston is a spy for the CIA when he gets "burned" in the middle of a mission. Being burned means being fired, only worse; you lose your identity, all your assets and you get dumped in a city where you are expected to stay and keep quiet. Contrived? Perhaps, but still fun. Weston wakes up in Miami and starts the long quest to find out who burned him and why. Along the way he's helped by is ex-girlfriend and another former operative. I find the show has some similarities to MacGuyver, but I personally find the actor playing Weston to be more charismatic.

It's generally a light show but it occasionally has some darker moments. What I like about the show is that Weston tends to think and plan his way out of problems rather well. Also, he narrates the show in parts telling you how operatives tend to think and how he uses that to his advantage. Weston will kill someone if necessary, but that is rare. This is different from the shows of the past like MacGuyver or The A-Team where there were billions of explosions and the bad guys always got up and dusted themselves off.

If this sounds interesting to anyone, check out one of the reruns on USA first to see if it is your bag of tea. The second season starts on July 10.

Edit: I just noticed that you can watch episodes online too on USA's website, including the pilot.

Edited by RationalBiker

Along the way he's helped by is ex-girlfriend and another former operative. I find the show has some similarities to MacGuyver, but I personally find the actor playing Weston to be more charismatic.

I second this, I got hooked on the first episode. Although I first tuned in because B movie legend Bruce Campbell was in it. He's the other former operative.

• 6 months later...

I just started watching this show when the second season started and really like it. I've ordered the first on DVD so I can get caught up, but I'm confused and hope one of you can answer my questions.

1.) If he worked for the CIA and got "burned" or fired as RB said, then why is he looking for who burned him? If I got fired, I would know my employer did it. Or did some third party out him, thus he was fired?

2.) How would finding out who burned him help him? His cover is blown nonetheless.

3.) On last night's episode he says he can't fill out a W-2 because then whoever burned him would know that he needs money, or something to that effect. Well, doesn't everyone need money? Why is that an issue and how does he know that the person that burned him has access to W-2 forms?

I really like this show, but I'm a little confused. Do you think watching season 1 will clear this up? :worry:

Edited by K-Mac

I really like this show, but I'm a little confused. Do you think watching season 1 will clear this up? :worry:

Yes, it will. To answer your first two questions: Weston wasn't just "let go", he was stripped of basically everything, money, identity and probably even citizenship. (No idea why they didn't just kill him or lock him up.) The reason for this is that he was deemed untrustworthy, but he knows of course that he never defected. Someone had framed him, obviously. He needs to find out who so he can clear his own name and get his life back.

Sorry, I can't answer the third question, I haven't started the second season yet.

3.) On last night's episode he says he can't fill out a W-2 because then whoever burned him would know that he needs money, or something to that effect. Well, doesn't everyone need money? Why is that an issue and how does he know that the person that burned him has access to W-2 forms?

Yea, everyone needs money in the general sense. But does someone like Bill Gates need money in the immediate sense? No, he currently has tons of money. I think that's what he's referring to. He wouldn't want them to know (for whatever reason) that he does not have immediate cash, another job or a stash of money available. That would be my estimation.

• 3 months later...

I finally got caught up and can't wait for next season to start next week. This is a great show! :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/burnnotice (Facebook page to keep you updated.)

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/burnnotice/ (Show's webpage where you can view some (or all??) episodes.)