Objectivism Online Forum

A belated announcement

Rate this topic

I'm engaged! The man I love proposed to me while we were on vacation in Italy -- a fitting end to a wonderful trip full of great art, good food, and romantic moments.

I'm enjoying the blissful time between when he asked me to be his wife and when I get to tell my parents there will be no mention of god at the wedding! :P

I'm enjoying the blissful time between when he asked me to be his wife and when I get to tell my parents there will be no mention of god at the wedding! :P

Do stick to your guns on that one. Your wedding is for you and your husband-to-be, and it should reflect your values. Nobody else's.

In my case, I've always been annoyed by the way most wedding ceremonies present love as selfless. When I got married, my wife and I wrote our own ceremony and the very first line was "Love is a profoundly selfish emotion." I could feel my mother wincing in the audience, and to this day I don't care. My wedding, my values, expressed my way.

Approximately when is the wedding (assuming you already know)? Many couples like to have a long engagement period. That never appealed to me, and my wife and I were only 'engaged' for a month before we had our wedding. Anyway, congratulations!

Sidenote: Where did you visit in Italy?

We went to Rome and Florence and had a great time. I could have spent all day looking at Michelangelo's David, but had to content myself with about twenty minutes of solid admiration.

As for the wedding date, probably June of next year. I'd love to do it sooner (I've waited for him for almost five years!), but we do want to take a honeymoon immediately after the wedding, and we pretty much have the same issues scheduling that as we did scheduling our Italy trip this year: no more vacation time left this year, he'll be studying for the CFA exam from February to the first weekend in June, and I'll be training for the NYC marathon from July to November. We could do January, which might happen if we're able to save a significant amount of money by doing so, but so far that hasn't been the case as much as I thought it would be. As I've said to everyone who asks, it's more about crossing off months on the calendar that don't work than about choosing a favored date!