dicksee1.jpg

La Belle Dame Sans Merci

dicksee7.jpg

The End of the Quest

dicksee3.jpg

Chivalry

dicksee26.jpg

Portrait of a Woman

Sir Frank Bernard Dicksee (b. London, November 27, 1853 – October 17, 1928) was an English Victorian painter and illustrator, best known for his pictures of dramatic historical and legendary scenes. He also was a noted painter of portraits of fashionable women, which helped to bring him success in his own time. Although not a member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood many of Dicksee's paintings can be considered Pre-Raphaelite in style. Dicksee enrolled in the Royal Academy in 1870 and achieved early success. He was elected to the Academy in 1891 and became its President in 1924. He was knighted in 1925, and named to the Royal Victorian Order by King George V in 1927. (via Wikipedia)

"Swoon" would be an overstatement for me but I do like Romeo & Juliet the best of the bunch.

BTW it occurs to me if Athena and Sophia didn't tell us about these artists, nobody would--It didn't occur to me until yesterday that they were "old" (i.e., non-contemporary) artists. That being the case no one really has a financial stake in publicizing them, as is the case with the artists represented by Quent Cordair Fine Arts.

Thanks, ladies!

BTW it occurs to me if Athena and Sophia didn't tell us about these artists, nobody would--It didn't occur to me until yesterday that they were "old" (i.e., non-contemporary) artists.

Sophia's posts are, as far as I know, all contemporary artists. I have taken it upon myself to post "old" artists that - like you pointed out - many of us would have never come across otherwise.

I really like his depiction of the sky in nearly every one of these. I like The End of the Quest a lot. Chivalry is nice too, and provides an interesting comparsion with Courbet's The Stone Breakers that we were discussing in the other thread (portrayal of an uneven and hilly terrain). The woman in Miranda is lovely. My only gripe about these (and it's a very small one) is the horse in Chivalry; I think its neck is a bit long, although that may be because of the unclear nature of the image.

Thank you for posting these!

Edited by adrock3215

I really like his depiction of the sky in nearly every one of these. I like The End of the Quest a lot. Chivalry is nice too, and provides an interesting comparsion with Courbet's The Stone Breakers that we were discussing in the other thread (portrayal of an uneven and hilly terrain). The woman in Miranda is lovely. My only gripe about these (and it's a very small one) is the horse in Chivalry; I think its neck is a bit long, although that may be because of the unclear nature of the image.

Thank you for posting these!

Dicksee_Chivalry.jpg

Here is a photoshopped copy of Chivalry that I found that is a little more clear, but I think you're right, the horse does have an unusually long neck...