Objectivism Online Forum

Architecture question: help

Rate this topic

Marty McFly

I hope this is the right forum for this:

I use the west side highway very often and I saw the most spectacular building being built on West 18th street and 11th avenue. It was completed maybe a couple of months ago or maybe as far back as last year. since the completion I've been trying to find out who the architect was but I can't even find out what the name of the building is!! I looked everywhere. I googled it but to no avail. It's not tall, but it's stunning! made of white glass...

I wasn't sure this would be the place to learn the info I'm looking for, but since that building reminds me of Roark so much, I decided to give it a try in the Objectivism forum.

Please please if you know anything about it, tell me. (I had no idea how hard it was to find a name of an architect! in The Fountainhead it sounds so simple - any pedestrian knows)

Here's how I found it, Marty: I Google-mapped the location and then switched to street view. I knew the building instantly when I panned to the right, with just the first glimpse of a window. Had I not, though, I would have searched for something familiar on the map, like a Blockbuster, and then phoned the employees about the building down the block, or across the street, or whatever.

Anyway, the building is Frank Gehry's "Subdued Tower of Light." Here is a review from the NY Times.

22dill395.jpg

I have to say, I like the building's facade a lot. It is unlike most of Gehry's work, which is usually novel but quite ugly. In Cleveland, OH, he built the Peter B. Lewis Building with new-looking bricks, but had the corners folding over like a sheet of paper. Weird.

although I'm familiar with Gehry's name, I don't specifically know is work. But agree with you Jaskn. That building you linked to was attrocious and an eyesore whereas this Tower of Light is quite beautiful. Maybe somebody talked some sense into him (or he picked up a copy of The Fountainhead for the first time in his life)

Look what this guy wants to do to Brooklyn! http://curbed.com/archives/2008/05/05/the_...ut_b1_is_in.php

It would never happen if it was up to private investors. never. Why the gov. wants to build "affordable" housing is beyond me. what's the point? this is looting in the highest degree! and they are looting MY tax money to do this >:(

Edited by Marty McFly

Now it's all coming back to me, I DO know who he is. Yes, he is god-awful (is there anything MORE awful than "god"?)

Didn't he also design that museum (I think it's a museum) in Paris (I think it was Paris) where all the building's utiltieis (plumbing/HVAC/etc.) are all on the outside of the building like some ugly, hideous exoskeleton?

Look what this guy wants to do to Brooklyn! http://curbed.com/archives/2008/05/05/the_...ut_b1_is_in.php

It would never happen if it was up to private investors. never. Why the gov. wants to build "affordable" housing is beyond me. what's the point? this is looting in the highest degree! and they are looting MY tax money to do this >:(

Huh? Gehry has been employed by private clients many times.