Objectivism Online Forum

Diablo 3

Rate this topic

The Wrath

Yes, I'm watching this one closely too. I'd be surprise if it came out sooner than 6 months to a year though. Bliz tends to space their releases (substantially) and the next WoW expansion is in November with Starcraft 2 to follow I think.

The video makes it look great!

I would actually expect it to be closer to 2 years. Not only does Blizzard like to space out its games, but they are perfectionists in every sense of the word and are more than willing to completely scrap large parts of their games if they don't live up to their perfect vision. They've done it before, and it wouldn't surprise me if they do it again.

I confess the only Blizzard game I have played to any significant degree is Diablo II and the expansion...and the Lost Vikings games, but those don't count because they were before Blizzard was big. But I don't have to be a Warcraft or Starcraft player to see that the games are about as close to perfection as you can get. Blizzard is the best video game company around. If this game is delayed, it will be well worth the wait.

We'll see. The team that did Diablo II also did Hellgate: London and it was anything but polished. Of course, they tried to switch from a basically single-player isometric game to a basically multiplayer FPS-MMORPG-Thingy. Blizzard, unlike Flagship Studios, however, seems aware that it only takes one really mediocre game to sink a company.

If you're jonesing for some Diablo-style Third Person Looter gaming in the mean time, check out Titan Quest by Iron Lore. It's basically Diablo with some jazzed up graphics and a sorta-ancient-world mythos backdrop, but I've enjoyed it.

We'll see. The team that did Diablo II also did Hellgate: London and it was anything but polished. Of course, they tried to switch from a basically single-player isometric game to a basically multiplayer FPS-MMORPG-Thingy. Blizzard, unlike Flagship Studios, however, seems aware that it only takes one really mediocre game to sink a company.

Well Blizzard completely scrapped StarCraft: Ghost because the studio they outsourced the game to did not do a satisfactory job. I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to do the same with D3.

I have complete faith in Blizzard. So far EVERY SINGLE ONE of their titles have become industry standards in their respective genres. Until shown otherwise, I see no reason why we should doubt them.

I was at Blizzard World Wide Invitational this year, when they announced Diablo III. I'm amazed by almost everything in it (not being a serious Diablo player at all), physics engine looks fabulous and there are allot of new features and mechanics to look forward to.

I had a great time at WWI - marketing a new community site for Starcraft 2, and although a bit "nerd-tight" there was allot of calm, cool and professional people. The icing on the cake has to be the rock concert in the end though - only Blizzard can make computer game developers look like rock stars.

I had a great time at WWI - marketing a new community site for Starcraft 2, and although a bit "nerd-tight" there was allot of calm, cool and professional people.

Goddamn "calm, cool and professional people," they need to mind their place.

The icing on the cake has to be the rock concert in the end though - only Blizzard can make computer game developers look like rock stars.

I know, 'cause the real rockstar developers are working on enterprise software.

;)

• 2 months later...
So far EVERY SINGLE ONE of their titles have become industry standards in their respective genres. Until shown otherwise, I see no reason why we should doubt them.

*Cough* Warcraft III *cough*

It wasn't a *bad* game, but it wasn't especially innovative and I'd hardly call it a new industry standard. Warcraft, Warcraft II, Diablo, Diablo II, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, yes.

Of course, it may just be that Warcraft III didn't look so phenomenal simply because there are a lot of companies occupying the same space now.

I know, 'cause the real rockstar developers are working on enterprise software.

Anyone can be an accountant. Not just anyone can be an artist. :D

I kid, and *at least* 50% of what goes into video games isn't art and is done by non-artists, anyway.

*Cough* Warcraft III *cough*

It wasn't a *bad* game, but it wasn't especially innovative and I'd hardly call it a new industry standard. Warcraft, Warcraft II, Diablo, Diablo II, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, yes.

Of course, it may just be that Warcraft III didn't look so phenomenal simply because there are a lot of companies occupying the same space now.

Yes, the RTS genre seems to have reached it's limit so the games tend to look the same.

My opinion of Warcraft 3 is that it wasn't original but it did feel 'tight' and 'polished' compared to similar games based on Warhammer, the Forgotten Realms etc. Perhaps it's because those systems evolved organically and seem quite messy in comparison whereas I think Blizzard did a good job of cherry picking the best aspects of the fantasy genre and integrating it into a decent if unoriginal game.

::drools::

They all look awesome and the 'confusion' skill looks really fun!

Based solely on the 3 classes they've shown so far, I think the Witch Doctor looks the coolest. The Barbarian will always be awesome, but it looks like more or less the same one as in Diablo II with, I'm sure, a few additional cool features. Based solely on this demonstration, the Wizard actually looks like the weakest of the bunch.

Looking forward to see what the other classes are...I'll be crossing my fingers for some version of the Druid.

I too was unimpressed with the wizard, which is a shame because I was an avid sorcy player (the best defense is HUGE AMOUNTS OF DAMAGE!). How do you guys feel about D3 coming out on consoles as well as PC? Given the choice I might opt to play on my PS3 as opposed to my PC, but that is probably because I am more of a console gamer.

I hadn't heard that it would be on console. I also can't imagine how it would be played on a console...far too many buttons involved.

They are considering making a console version, say perhaps for PS3 and XBox 360. I wouldn't say there are too many buttons involved, based on my experience with D2.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

So i bought this game the day it came out because I am a huge fan of the Diablo series.

And I must say, I am not impressed. I find that this game is just not as engaging as the previous Diablo titles.

I think it lacks the gloomy atmosphere that the other games in the series provided, and there are horribly cheesy scripted scenes that pop up all throughout the game which really irritate me.

There are a bunch of other issues with this game and I was just curious to know what you guys think about it.

I just defeated the game. It might sound silly but I was expecting more in the way there was a jump in content between D1 and D2. But I still enjoyed it and I am now deciding if I want to try my Barbarian on higher levels or start over as a different class. I predict I'll play with it for about month then get back to Civilization with it's new expansion. I'll probably go back to playing it casually in the fall when I feel the need to just hack and loot the bad guys.

So which class would be most suitable for an Objectivist gamer? At a first glace, the Barbarian (Attila) and the Witch Doctor are ruled out as they're the most frequently used metaphors of evil. The Wizard, although intelligent and civilized, represents irrational metaphysics and epistemology and is also ruled out. The Monk is ruled out due to being a living embodiment of altruism and mysticism. That leaves the ruggedly individualistic and resourceful Demon Hunter—who is practically a medieval Iron Man—as the most suitable class. ;)

Edited by NikolaiM